Why can not I open many TXT files?

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
Debugger

Why can not I open many TXT files?

Post by Debugger »

Why can not I open many TXT files with a total size of about 2 GB?

EmEditor x64
Example: 185 files drag-and-drop - not work (Uses more than 20 GB of memory!!!)

Example: 1 file or severals - work (It does not use a lot of RAM)

I tried to check if it will work in Notepad ++ but it's a 32-bit version and medium large (20-50MB) file has not been opened!
"Too big" :)
therube

Re: Why can not I open many TXT files?

Post by therube »

(Only guessing, but might be some limit to the total path+filename length of the items you're trying to d&d that can be accepted by your editor?
And what, EmEditor would open each file simultaneously in its own window/tab?

With Vim, it [does not have tabs] has the option to open files in a single "Vim" or multiple Vim [windows].
If single, you get 1 window with each file in a queue. With multiple, you get individual windows.

At some point figure that each method may fail.
I can do at least 150 files in a single, at least 50 in multiple, but cannot do 1500 files in a single (& I'd rather not try & find out where multiple may fail).

Single would use only as much ram as needed to open each file as it gets to it.
Multiple would use as much as it needed to open each file it was sent.)
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

EmEditor x64
Some problems with opening many files in TABS when dragging multiple files into the program.
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

Open 2GB txt files and various operations (find etc.) require too much physical memory, which I do not have in the system.

therube

Post by therube »

EmEditor said what, something about 248 GB files.

Anyhow, I messed around with a single 500 MB file (1 GB) in Vim & HxD & even with that relatively small file size, depending on the operations performed, they will quickly eat memory.

Simply opening the file, Vim took ~500 MB RAM (1 GB). HxD only a paltry 7 MB (7 MB).
HxD doesn't load the entire file into RAM & can quickly open a file & scroll or search throughout the file & never move from that 7 MB.
Same holds true with Vim, except that it reads the entire file into RAM.

Both were able to do a simple s/e/xxxs/g relatively quickly.

But after doing that, then doing an undo, then doing a s/i/xxx/g, Vim was quickly eating RAM & running out of memory itself to perform operations.

With HxD, undo took a LONG time before it finished, & it too had grown quite a bit from its initial 7 MB.

So it looks to me, depending on what you're looking to do, you're going to really need to investigate editors to find the one that will most efficiently meet your requirements.
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

In my life I used many TEXT EDITOR, I was testing almost the entire list of various editors.
Unfortunately, most editors have failed me because of too slow operation when doing a series of actions on larger text files.
Everything was too slow, unstable, and the interface left a lot to be desired.
From that moment, I only use Emeditor - it is simply the fastest, the most stable and, if necessary, informs in the messages what should be done to make the operation on the files even more efficient and much more performance.
He can work on many open files in tabs simultaneously and search for everything in all open documents at the same time.
The only drawback and the expense of the speed of performing operations on text files - use too much RAM.
But can reduce the use of RAM (advanced settings)[default max. 90% ], but I do not know how to set - how to use disk space (instead of pagefile.sys)
Everyone has their favorite text editor, and uses it, I chose such-and-no-other because of the speed and a number of useful functions that are not available in another text editor.