Is Windows coming around to the Everything way of doing things?

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
rseiler

Is Windows coming around to the Everything way of doing things?

Post by rseiler »

This test build announced a new form of indexing:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... uild-18267

It didn't sound like much, but when you add in the extra information from this developer-oriented article, which also discusses the new form of indexing, it reminded me of Everything.
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/adamdw ... n-your-app

In terms of indexing, at least after the initial pass, is that similar to how Everything does it?
horst.epp

Re: Is Windows coming around to the Everything way of doing things?

Post by horst.epp »

It indexes all files which is similar to Everything but it also indexes the contents
which is much more than Everything ever does.
It was always possible to add more folders to Windows indexing so its not realy exiting.
Now you can index all files and make exceptions, which is easier to handle.
I use Everything integrated into my Total Commander file manager to simply search for files
but Windows indexing if I search for contents.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

The new indexing, what they're referring to as "Find my files," only indexes file system metadata, which they say is up to 100x faster than file content indexing. That's what I was referring to. It also automatically excludes OS files and temp areas.

Windows still does have its traditional indexing, but only for limited areas or areas that you include.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

rseiler wrote:The new indexing, what they're referring to as "Find my files," only indexes file system metadata, which they say is up to 100x faster than file content indexing. That's what I was referring to. It also automatically excludes OS files and temp areas.

Windows still does have its traditional indexing, but only for limited areas or areas that you include.
As I have added all my importand dirs to the Windows indexer the new Find my files is of no interest for me.
Everything finds all file names and in the upcoming new version also some of its meta data indexed.
So I stick with my logic using Total Commander with integrated Everything for find files
and Windows Indexer for searching content.