Bitlocked partition "Inaccessible" after unlocking

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
gpf

Bitlocked partition "Inaccessible" after unlocking

Post by gpf » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:18 pm

Running Everything on my new laptop with a bitlocked partition, I have the same problem as this person: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... rosecurity

You will see my reply in that thread which explains the problem:
Thanks so much for posting this Bert - you solved the exact same problem on my laptop today! It's been driving me crazy for a long time. I unlock the internal bitlocked partition and the padlock icon changes colour and turns into an 'unlocked' padlock, but there is no drive info (used/free space) and double-clicking the drive produces 'Inaccessible' error.

This morning with the drive in it's unlocked but inaccessible state I stopped the Everything (from voidtools) Windows Service and then refreshed the File Explorer screen (F5). Immediately the used/free space appeared and I can access the drive. Starting the Everything service once the drive was fully unlocked has no effect on the drive. I have used "Everything" for many years as it's the fastest most reliable and customisable file search tool out there (I love this search tool to the moon and back!). This won't stop me using it because it's just so useful, but I may have to create a batch file to stop the service, unlock the drive and then start the service. Before that though I'll contact voidtools and see if they can fix the bug.
Before making today's discovery that Everything is locking the drive, I've been gaining access to the drive daily by locking it after unlocking, and then unlocking it a second time. This ALWAYS works, but is a timewaster.

Are there any settings that can be changed in Options to solve this problem or can the bug be fixed? I am running Windows 10 Pro 1809 OS Build 17763.475

Thanks
Gary

void
Site Admin

Re: Bitlocked partition "Inaccessible" after unlocking

Post by void » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks for the bug report Gary.
I unlock the internal bitlocked partition and the padlock icon changes colour and turns into an 'unlocked' padlock, but there is no drive info (used/free space) and double-clicking the drive produces 'Inaccessible' error.
I haven't had any luck reproducing the issue here on Windows 10 x64 1809 build 17763.557.

Could you please send some debug information:
  • Restart your PC so the bitlocker drive is locked.
  • Exit Everything completely (In Everything, from the File menu click Exit)
  • Stop the Everything Service.
  • Create a shortcut on your Desktop to your Everything.exe with the -svc -debug command line options:
    Everything.exe -svc -debug
  • Run this shortcut as an administrator.
  • You should see a console open which shows some information about the Everything service.
  • Launch Everything to show an Everything search window (ie: run Everything.exe).
  • Attempt to unlock your bitlocker volume.
  • What is shown in the service console after unlocking appears to fail? could you please send this to support@voidtools.com

gpf

Post by gpf » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:53 pm

Thanks for your reply and request to debug.

I did exactly as instructed and the disk opened fine! I rebooted and tried again but both times it went straight through. I wonder if this is because the Windows Service was stopped? I had the Everything window up at the time, just as requested.

After another reboot I tried opening the bitlocked drive with the Everything service & application running and got the usual unlocked but unaccessible error - attached. The strange thing is it nearly always works after that error when I lock the drive (manage-bde -lock j: -forcedismount) and then try unlocking it a second time (not touching Everything).

If there's any other testing I can do, please let me know.

Regards
Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:00 pm

I don't want to interfere with the debugging going on, but my "IT-uition" tells me that this is caused by Everything being installed on your D-drive, instead of the C-drive.

void
Site Admin

Post by void » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:10 am

Thanks for the info Gary, could you please try running the Everything service with debug logging:
  • You can delete the Everything shortcut on your Desktop from earlier.
  • Open the Registry editor.
  • Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Everything
  • Change ImagePath from:
    "C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -svc
    to:
    "C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -svc -debug-log
    where C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe is the path to your Everything.exe
  • Restart your PC to lock your bitlocker volume and start the Everything service with debug logging enabled.
  • Attempt to unlock your bitlocker volume.
  • After unlocking the volume fails, could you please send your C:\Windows\Temp\Everything Service Debug Log.txt to support@voidtools.com
Note: Enabling Service Debug Logging can write a lot of data to C:\Windows\Temp\Everything Service Debug Log.txt.

Please disable Service Debug Logging when finished debugging:
  • Open the Registry editor.
  • Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Everything
  • Change ImagePath from:
    "C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -svc -debug-log
    to:
    "C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -svc
    where C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe is the path to your Everything.exe
  • Restart the Everything Service.

therube

Post by therube » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:23 pm

"IT-uition" tells me that this is caused by Everything being installed on your D-drive, instead of the C-drive.
How or why should that matter?
(IMO, it wouldn't, shouldn't. I don't install. My "system" drive [where /Windows/ is] is E:. I've only ever had Everything [extracted] on C:.)

NotNull

Post by NotNull » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 pm

therube wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:23 pm
How or why should that matter?
No idea and no reasonable explanation. That's why it's called intuition :)

gpf

Post by gpf » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Good morning. I did as requested and have sent you the log file. Strangely the bitlocked drive opened immediately today though, so the log doesn't appear to have captured anything. Nothing else has changed on my laptop that I'm aware of.

Regards
Gary