Offline volumes cause unresponsiveness

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
pglpm

Offline volumes cause unresponsiveness

Post by pglpm »

This bug concerns Version 1.4.1.935 (x86), and didn't seem to be present in versions 1.3.x.

From time to time Everything is unresponsive: I call its window from the system tray, but the window takes about 60+ to seconds to appear.

To investigate the problem I run Everything in debug mode. The cause seems to be this: I have two drive letters (Y:, Z:) that refer to external network locations ("\\location\etc"). They are only accessible for a limited part of the day. The delay happens whenever Everything inquires Windows about those drives:

Code: Select all

QueryDosDevice Y: \Device\LanmanRedirector\;Y:[...]
Y:\ GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPoint FAILED 87
QueryDosDevice Z: \Device\LanmanRedirector\;Z:[...]
Z:\ GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPoint FAILED 87
ntfs volume create list 0.040916 seconds
To try to solve this, I UNchecked "Automatically include new fixed volumes" and "Automatically include new removable volumes", and checked "Automatically remove offline volumes" from the Indexes/NTFS and Indexes/ReFS options. Note also that I UNchecked the option "search and index existing volumes" (or similar) at install time.

Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem.

I then also added Y: and Z: to the excluded list. But the delay still appears.

Is it possible to solve this situation somehow, and tell Everything to inquire Windows ONLY about the volumes listed in the Index/NTFS options?

Everything is an amazing program! I use it constantly during the day. Cheers!
void
Developer

Re: Offline volumes cause unresponsiveness

Post by void »

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Please try Everything 1.4.1.937.

Everything 1.4.1.937 will no longer try to access NTFS or ReFS volumes on offline mapped network drives.
pglpm

Post by pglpm »

Thank you! Will report on Monday on how it's working.
matjazb

Post by matjazb »

Dear all,

I'm having the same issue as the pglpm.
I have two local drives and few network shared drives.

Everything was working as excepted. But in last months problems started. I belive it has something with some Windows 10 update.
Now I'm getting the same GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPoint FAILED 87 error as my predecessor in this thread. This only occurs when drives are offline. Once they are online everything works smoothly.

As I could not attach debug log and config to forum I've posted them to pastebin:
* The debug log
* Config file

Keep an eye on timestamps and GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPoint errors. It takes forever for them to return (error) status.
I hope you will be able to see what is the root of the problem.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

According to your debug log, you are running Everything 1.4.1.935.
void wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:21 am Please try Everything 1.4.1.937.
Everything 1.4.1.937 will no longer try to access NTFS or ReFS volumes on offline mapped network drives.
The latest builds can be found here, including instructions how to upgrade. Current latest version: 1.4.1.949.

BTW: I went through your Everything.ini, too. You don't need to specify the database location when it is is in the same folder as Everything.exe (and AppData=0). That is the default location.
And just out of curiousity: Why the exclusion of ".*" folders? (Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Exclude)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

pglpm wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:59 pm Thank you! Will report on Monday on how it's working.
Well... today it's a Monday .... :D
matjazb

Post by matjazb »

Thanks for fast reply.

I did not look at nightly builds and I thought I have latest version.

With nightly build 1.4.1.949 it works fine! Great!

I'm excluding .* as I'm using the SVN - witch uses the .svn folder (with a lot of internal svn stuff). The same goes for git.

Thanks for help.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

matjazb wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:01 am I'm excluding .* as I'm using the SVN - witch uses the .svn folder (with a lot of internal svn stuff). The same goes for git.
Got it. Thanks!