performance problems with renames

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
cvmocanu

performance problems with renames

Post by cvmocanu »

I want to start by saying that Everything Search is very, very nice and useful.

Now, the bug report:

Everything Search has a cool feature that it automatically updates its database immediately after copy/move/delete files.

There is a performance problem with that if you rename a directory having thousands of files / subdirectories in it.
Basically, the OS operation is instantaneous, but then it takes a long time for Everything Search to updates its database. I usually kill it, delete its database and restart it because that is faster (with an empty database, I think it only indexes the MFT which is a lot faster in these situations).

We need a faster re-indexing in such situations (almost instantaneous would be perfect :) )
At the very least we need a setting for the priority of the thread performing the re-indexing. And the default should be lower than normal.

Note: unfortunately, because of this performance problem, one of my friends stopped using this wonderful application.

That said, thank for a very nice and useful application,
Cristian Vasile Mocanu
David
Developer

Re: performance problems with renames

Post by David »

Managing folder renaming has been completely re-written for the next release of "Everything".

This has greatly improved the performance when renaming folders with millions of sub folders and files.
cvmocanu

Re: performance problems with renames

Post by cvmocanu »

Sweeet!

Do you have an estimation on when can we get our hands on such a beauty?