How to freeze Everything index contents

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
pedritux

How to freeze Everything index contents

Post by pedritux »

I Everything'ed my 4TB drive (best engine i ever had) until the day the drive crashed, corrupted the directory tree and in general stopped working properly, requiring repair over repair and not fixing anything. I stil have it attached, though, because I can retrieve some files I've been recovering.

My question is, can I make it so that Everything freezes the indexing it had for my drive, so that I search for things I had stored there ?
( it's actually my best source for the list of 10M files I had)

I currently have, for that drive:

Include In Database - ENABLED
Enable USN Journal - ENABLED
Monitor changes - HAD IT ENABLED, NOW DISABLED, just in case.

Thank you
NotNull

Re: How to freeze Everything index contents

Post by NotNull »

There are many ways to do this. This is what I would do, taking advantage of (static) file lists:

Let's say the problematic disk is X:\ ...
  • Backup the current Everything database.
    In case anything goes wrong, you have a fallback.
    Everything.db can be found in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Everything or else in the folder where Everything.exe is.
  • In Everything, search for
    X:\
  • Export the results as an EFU file X-drive.efu (Menu:File > Export )
  • Add this X-drive.efu file list to Everything's database (Menu:Tools > OPtions > Indexes > File Lists )
  • Go to Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > NTFS
  • Select X:\ in the list of Local NTFS volumes
  • Unselect Include in database
  • Press OK
Now Everything will no longer check your X:-drive and will use the static file list instead.

P.S. Seagate drive?
therube

Post by therube »

Make backup copies of the .db.

Use the
-read-only
command-line switch to open the .db in read-only mode.

Could even set up a separate instance of Everything that has that switch set, & just use that instance when you need to access its' .db data.

Call it, Everything 4TB ;-).
(Assuming you set up a separate Instance
Everything.exe -instance 4TB
, you'd need to rename the .db to "Everything-4TB.db".)

(Seagates have horrible reliability, from what I read. If it has lasted, it has to be Hitachi.
Though when he says "best engine", I actually thought he was talking about Everything ;-).)
pedritux

Post by pedritux »

:!: :!: :!: 8-) 8-) 8-)
Thank you, it worked great. Did the exporting to a .efu and importing it as an index, while disabling the NTFS.
Also did a backup of the database just in case to open it as readonly if need be.

In the old days, it was my Seagate that crashed.
Nowadays it's the WDC Blue 4TB (WD40EZRZ-00GXCB0 4000). I had a crash last year , Load/Unload Cycle Count was going fast to 0 from 200, but still had warranty, lasted 10 months or so.
Stupid me, bought another batch. And again the same, same kind of errors.
Doesn't help I got trees with 20k folders so when it goes wrong, it goes very wrong.
Going for Seagate Ironwolf now, hopefully I'll get another kind of crash to keep me amused.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Backblaze is a company that provides online backup and storage. It is a big player that uses lots and lots of (HDD) disks .
(end of spam :))
The interesting part here is that they publish every 3 months the failure rates of their disks. And they do so for many years.
And for all those years (at least since I keep track of it), Seagate has the largest failure rate.

So my first advice: don't buy Seagate. My second advice: Don't listen to me :D

(In the past Google published similar disk statistics, but it looks like they don't do that anymore)