How to Exclude Offline Volumes from results ?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
mohsyn

How to Exclude Offline Volumes from results ?

Post by mohsyn »

I want to search only in existing drives without removing the data of offline volumes.
Everytime I have to search I need to put " NOT F:\" in the end of search
Is there a simpler way to exclude offline volumes from search results which can be easily toggled when wanted ?
NotNull

Re: How to Exclude Offline Volumes from results ?

Post by NotNull »

mohsyn wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:40 am Is there a simpler way to exclude offline volumes from search results which can be easily toggled when wanted ?
Not really.
You can create a filter "NOT F:" and use that, but that will get ugly if you also have an offline G:', etc.

Technically ... there is a workaround. I don't recommend it, because it will be slow. So, just for the record:
Everything stores file- and folder information (like name and size) in it's database. For information that is not in the database, Everything will ask Windows for that information. For files that are off-line, Windows can't deliver that (obviously).
Using that, you can search in Everything for your files and add a search for non-indexed information.
On my system, date created is not indexed [1], so I can search for
everything dc:
. And that will give me all files/folders with everything in it's name and that have a date created
But Windows can only get that information if the file is online, so offline files will not be shown in Everything..

[1] Configured under Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes