Unable to open files from the File Explorer - ETP

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
krosal

Unable to open files from the File Explorer - ETP

Post by krosal »

I have found that there is an issue when opening a file from Everything (the file must be launched from Everything (first)). I'm not sure if it's related to 'ALL' Windows but it is happening in different versions of Windows10 and may only be related to the Adobe Acrobat application.
For example;
If you open a .pdf file from Everything first, then try to open a .pdf file from the Windows File Explorer by double click or select Open, the file does not open and may eventually receive a Fatal Error message stating Acrobat failed to connect to a DDE server.
It also appears that if you go to your application's File Menu and try to open your file from there, you will not be seeing your Network Mapped drives showing.

It seems to be more related to Adobe .pdf files. has been noticed with my full Adobe Acrobat 2011 and Adobe Acrobat 2017 and have not tested any Reader versions.

However, if the .pdf file is opened through the File Explorer first, then the .pdf can be opened with Everything and no problems are noticed.
Thank you,
Attachments
dde_error.JPG
dde_error.JPG (13.83 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
void
Developer

Re: Unable to open files from the File Explorer - ETP

Post by void »

If you are running Everything as an administrator, PDFs launched from Everything will also run as an administrator.
This may cause issues with launching PDFs from Windows Explorer as a standard user.

Please try running Everything as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Everything service.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

void wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:56 am
  • Check Everything service.
This is optional if you use Everything as an ETP client (and don't index local NTFS disks).
krosal

Post by krosal »

Unchecking 'Run As Administrator' did fix the Adobe .pdf issue we were experiencing. I did not have to check the Everything service at this time.

Thank you,