ETP Indexing Security

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
krosal

ETP Indexing Security

Post by krosal »

Today I was able to install the Everything on 8 client computers to see how the Everything indexing works for them. I have them setup identical to my current setup which runs superfast, and also have it on my supervisors PC which also runs superfast. On the client PC's, some of the searches run quickly where others take long. The same searches that the users run, search superfast on my PC and also my Supervisor's PC. This leads me to believe that it is security related, since myself and my supervisor are domain admins and have full security to everything.

In the 'Options' on he ETP server, I currently do not have a username or password set. Is this the problem?

If so, will setting the domain admin password, or a user that has full access to these folders fix the issue? And can I just set it on the server and I'll be good to go?

Thank you,
void
Developer

Re: ETP Indexing Security

Post by void »

In the 'Options' on he ETP server, I currently do not have a username or password set. Is this the problem?
Seems unlikely this would cause the slowness.

Gathering icons might be causing the slowness.
Does the slow searching occur if you use ftp links when connecting to the ETP server?
krosal

Post by krosal »

Hello,

It looks to be when there is a search that is to the remote location server.

It must be something related to switch port settings or cabling. We can just cancel this ticket since it's most likely on my end.

Thank you,
krosal

Post by krosal »

This is related to the client setup;

I have a question on the difference between the configuration in the 'Everything Options>Home' setting and the other setting 'Tools>Connect to ETP server'.

In the ETP setup area it describes how to configure from the 'Tools>Connect to ETP server' is this where it should be configured only or does it need to also be configured under the 'Everything Options>Home' setting?

Thank you,
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I have a question on the difference between the configuration in the 'Everything Options>Home' setting and the other setting 'Tools>Connect to ETP server'.
'Tools > Connect to ETP server is for manually connecting to an ETP Server (you might have more than one)

Options > Home is for automatically connecting to the configured ETP Server when the Everything client starts.
Last edited by NotNull on Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krosal

Post by krosal »

Perfect - Thank you for that information.
krosal

Post by krosal »

If I added the connection
Tools > Connect to ETP server is for manually connecting to an ETP Server
How can I remove it?
I seen the entry in the Everything.ini under connect_history_hosts= (think this may be it), but when I remove the server name 'entry' it doesn't seem to remove it. I did close the Everything Search before editing, but is seems to add it back.

Possibly I need to run a command instead?

Thank you,
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Are you editing the right Everything.ini?
When you enabled Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything, the INI file is in the profile of the user that is running Everything.
If you enabled Run as administrator, that would be c:\users\administrator\everything\everything.ini

Was Everything really closed?
Right-click the EVerything icon in te system tray and choose Exit
krosal

Post by krosal »

Yes, that worked perfect.

Thank you,
krosal

Post by krosal »

This is in response to Void's response above.

What I ended up doing to resolve the issue was the following;

Uninstalling and not connecting to the ETP server by right clicking on tray icon or from the Tools menu option made it where the search of 'PIPE' was instant on the users PC's that had the issue of the search being slow. I uninstalled and configured everything the same except I did not add the 2nd connection to the ETP server.

That did resolve it for some reason.

Thank you,
krosal

Post by krosal »

Is there any type of security that needs to be set on the ETP server such as access 'client security access' to the Everything folder that the Everything.db is located in?

Thank you,
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

krosal wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:19 pm Is there any type of security that needs to be set on the ETP server such as access 'client security access' to the Everything folder that the Everything.db is located in?
As long a the account that is used to run the ETP Server has access, you're good. Clients don't need access to the folder where the database is installed.
If it was my setup, I would put the ETP Server files in a folder where regular users don't have access to.
krosal

Post by krosal »

OK, thank you.
krosal

Post by krosal »

In reply to Void's question on the FTP server connection.

Connecting via FTP to the ETP server shows all folders and access works quickly on all PC's that I tested.

It seems like I should be good for now. I think all is good and running correctly.

Thanks for all your support.