How to use always and only Drive P:\ on every computer?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
merlinuwe2

How to use always and only Drive P:\ on every computer?

Post by merlinuwe2 »

Hi,

I use everything from an USB-Drive on some PC:

My home PC
My Laptop
Some PC with have a "Wächterkarte" (every time you reboot, you get the same state of Windows and lose all your on the PC stored data)

The problem is, when I change the PC, I see automatically more drives, than I want and the place of the Database is lost. I always only want to search drive P:\, regardless of the PC I use.

As you see in the screnshot of "NTFS-Laufwerke", the delete-Button is always hidden.

What can I do, to use always and only Drive P:\ on every computer?

Nonetheless, thanks for this great piece of software.

Greetings,

merlinuwe2
Attachments
DatabaseFolder.jpg
DatabaseFolder.jpg (164.41 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
ntfs.jpg
ntfs.jpg (173.96 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
NotNull

Re: How to use always and only Drive P:\ on every computer?

Post by NotNull »

Assuming you configured Windows to show your removable disk as P: on all your systems ...
(If not: there is a "Plan B")

• Go to Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > NTFS
  • Disable Automatically include new fixed volumes
  • Disable Automatically include new removable volumes
    (you already have those two disabled)
  • In the local NTFS volumes, click on the first volume ("disk") you don't want to include SSD (C:)
  • Disable Include in database ("Laufwerk in database einschliessen") for this disk.
  • Repeat for other volumes
  • Click the OK button
Note: Everything will always show all detected local NTFS volumes here (otherwise it would be impossible to include/exclude them).
merlinuwe2

Post by merlinuwe2 »

Thank you very much for your advice, but every time I change the computer, I have to set the checkbox for drive P: to "Laufwerk in Datenbank einschließen" again. When I scroll down through the local ntfs-disks to reach P:, the program hangs with SSD (C:) and the following harddisks (see screenshot), even if they are not included in the database.

What can I do to avoid this behavior? My goal is, that I can use everything emmediately after plugging in the usb-Drive.

(FYI: I use USBDLM from https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm.html to make sure, P:\ is my external usb-harddisk on every computer.)
Attachments
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (26.72 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Did you also try it with Offline Laufwerke automatisch aus Database entfernen abgeschaltet?

If that doesn't help, the next step is analyzing the behaviour of USBDLM. (maybe USBDLM creates a new Volume-ID for each volume).
But try disabling Automatically remove offline volumes first ...