key search doesn't work

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
BobG

key search doesn't work

Post by BobG »

Got Everything installed on my new Windows 10 computer. First search I ran was successful for a "*.sld" set of files anywhere which allowed me to delete the old obsolete versions of that kind of ffile. Another search hasn't worked. What I'm trying to do is to obtain a list of "*." files (they are filename only text files without any ".ext" such as "MSFT") modified on a specific date including everything within all subfolders of the primary directory. There are more than 5,000 files of that sort within the primary directory, virtually none anywhere else. On Windows 7, I start by searching on "*." then shift into the directory that contains what I want to search by specific date, specify the date and up comes my listing of folders and files that I modified on that date. Can this be done with Everything? If so, HOW?
NotNull

Re: key search doesn't work

Post by NotNull »

I probably misunderstood what you are trying to accomplish, but this should get you a little closer:

Code: Select all

"c:\path\to\ primary folder"     ext:     date:2019-11-29
Where:
"c:\path\to\ primary folder" the path to your primary folder
ext: files without extension
dm:2019-11-29 files modified on a specific date, using year-month-day syntax

More information about this can be found on the Search Help page
(in your case especially useful for different date search options, like a range of dates)

P.S. Would you be so kind to remove your other (double) thread?
BobG

Re: key search doesn't work

Post by BobG »

Silly me in my original search specification to insist on the "." at the end of my search specification. Tried a couple of variations starting with "*?." since there is always at least *one* character in any of my file names and the "*" tries to pick up zero character names. The one that worked BEAUTIFULLY was to try searching "*?" without the dot. BINGO! I got my detailed list after specifying the directory that I wanted the search done in and, even better, was able to BOOKMARK the entire specifications for the search so that I already have it properly organized the next time I want to run it. I very much appreciate voidtools "Everything" software because it not only does both of the kinds of searches that I regularly need but, unlike Windows 10 itself, it doesn't blow out the entire operating system when a wildcard is entered into their native YGBK "search" function.