question about 3 functions

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
anddyy

question about 3 functions

Post by anddyy »

i have used everything for so many years,it's a great software! thank you for your work!

i used it in a simple mode, now i want to use more advanced features,so i read document carefully. but several functions in syntax really confused me, i tried them in the search box, and searched help post in the forum, and understand parts of them, but still confusing about this:

type:<type>
i find a sample in forum, type:"Image", i have tried it,but it doesn't work. so could you tell more about the value of this function?

filelist:<list>
the value of this function is .efu files? or just any key words you want to search? and the value seems contain pipe (|) delimited? but i have tried, operators can't be a part of value of a function. i found parts before and after operators were in the same priority, so one function could get only one value, and the word after a operator is independent. for example, i tried filelist:flac, the result is several folder named "flac". and tried filelist:flac|mp3,the result is independent result of filelist:flac and mp3 add together. and no result of filelist:<flac|mp3>. another question is where the operator <> will be used?

frn:<frnlist>
what's mean of File Reference Numbers? how can i find it?

plz list some examples for this three functions. and the most important is where can i find details about every function that i confused about?

and as a suggestion,i think, a brief words of information is not friendly for new users, and more users without programming background even can't read it, so i hope every function may list several examples and more details, like function shell:<name>. IMO.

Thanks for your work again!
therube

Re: question about 3 functions

Post by therube »

FRN, http://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopi ... lit=frn%3A
not something one would typically ever use
possibly for forensics or similar

type, is a Windows type, rather then a "human" type (like what the Picture filter may show)
oh, I think there's a KB article on it?
you can display a 'Type' column in the results listing.
on my end, type:image shows; _IMAGES file, Bitmap Image, EMF Image, GIF Image, JPEG Image, PNG Image, & WMF Image
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the 3 good questions.
A file "type" is set by the associated application. It will be different for every PC.
For example, PDF files might have the type "Adobe Acrobat Document" or "Chrome HTML Document".

Show the Type column to get an example of Type information for files (Right click the result list column header and check Type).
Please try the Search -> Advanced Search -> Type to select from a list of known types.

For more control, use the ext:<extension list> search function.

For example, to search for files with the "Adobe Acrobat Document" "Type", search for:
type:"Adobe Acrobat Document"
This is a literal list of filenames.
The | will need to be escaped with double quotes.

An example:
filelist:"C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.ini|C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe"

Please try the Search -> Advanced Search -> Search for a list of file names to select a list of file names in a txt file.
A FRN is the internal NTFS ID for a file. You can modify, rename or move a file and the file's ID will remain the same.

For example, find the file with FRN 0x0005000000000005, search for:
frn:0x0005000000000005

The FRN 0x0005000000000005 is always the root folder on NTFS.
anddyy

Post by anddyy »

therube wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:08 pm FRN, http://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopi ... lit=frn%3A
not something one would typically ever use
possibly for forensics or similar

type, is a Windows type, rather then a "human" type (like what the Picture filter may show)
oh, I think there's a KB article on it?
you can display a 'Type' column in the results listing.
on my end, type:image shows; _IMAGES file, Bitmap Image, EMF Image, GIF Image, JPEG Image, PNG Image, & WMF Image
thanks!i understand this tow function with your help. FRN function may useless for common users. and finally i found value of type depends on the language of your computer, i must use type:照片 in Chinese in my computer, means type:Image in English, or it will no result.
anddyy

Post by anddyy »

void wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:29 am Thanks for the 3 good questions.
A file "type" is set by the associated application. It will be different for every PC.
For example, PDF files might have the type "Adobe Acrobat Document" or "Chrome HTML Document".

Show the Type column to get an example of Type information for files (Right click the result list column header and check Type).
Please try the Search -> Advanced Search -> Type to select from a list of known types.

For more control, use the ext:<extension list> search function.

For example, to search for files with the "Adobe Acrobat Document" "Type", search for:
type:"Adobe Acrobat Document"
This is a literal list of filenames.
The | will need to be escaped with double quotes.

An example:
filelist:"C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.ini|C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe"

Please try the Search -> Advanced Search -> Search for a list of file names to select a list of file names in a txt file.
A FRN is the internal NTFS ID for a file. You can modify, rename or move a file and the file's ID will remain the same.

For example, find the file with FRN 0x0005000000000005, search for:
frn:0x0005000000000005

The FRN 0x0005000000000005 is always the root folder on NTFS.
Thank you so much!!! :lol:
i found value of type depends on the language of your computer, i must use type:照片 in Chinese in my computer, means type:Image in English, or it will no result if you use wrong language.
now I understand about filelist:<list>, i miss the quote.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

For what it's worth, you can get the FRN of a file in Windows - let's say everything.exe - by issuing this command in CMD:

Code: Select all

fsutil.exe file queryfileid "c:\tools\Everything\Everything.exe"