Searching mounted encrypted drives

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Oreosaredelicious

Searching mounted encrypted drives

Post by Oreosaredelicious »

Hello,

I recently encrypted my external hard drive, but I have been unable to use everything to search the drive once unlocked and mounted.

Does anyone know how to allow everything to search the drive and ideally how to make the process automatic after the drive is mounted?
Last edited by Oreosaredelicious on Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oreosaredelicious

Re: Searchng unmounted encrypted drives

Just noticed the disaster that is the subforum name. Apologies. I meant to say "Searching mounted encrypted drives". If a MOD could fix that, it would be great! TY :)
vanisk

Post by vanisk »

Oreosaredelicious wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:57 pm I meant to say "Searching mounted encrypted drives".
You can edit the first post yourself and change subject line.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

What are the drives encrypted with?

You can arbitrarily add ANY drive, folder or network path under Tools -> Options -> Indexes -> Folders. As long as windows recognizes it as a proper path.
Oreosaredelicious

I tried using your suggested approach to see if that worked as a temp solution but it did not work. I select the drive, I get an error message saying the drive needs to be formatted.
Last edited by Oreosaredelicious on Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oreosaredelicious

vanisk wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:50 pm
Oreosaredelicious wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:57 pm I meant to say "Searching mounted encrypted drives".
You can edit the first post yourself and change subject line.
Didnt know u could do that. Done! TY
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Oreosaredelicious wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:33 pm VeraKrypt is what I used to encrypt it. I tried using your suggested approach to see if that worked as a temp solution but it did not work. I select the drive, I get an error message saying the drive needs to be formatted which I ignore as its encrypted. And hit apply. Still no results.
Um. You want to add the virtual drive that VeraKrypt mounts after you've supplied it with your password.

No. You cannot hack into encrypted volume containers with Everything. You need VeraKrypt and your password for that.

Once the volume is mounted, it behaves as a standard drive \ folder architecture that Everything can work with.
NotNull

Re: Searching mounted encrypted drives

Post by NotNull »

raccoon wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:48 pm Um. You want to add the virtual drive that VeraKrypt mounts after you've supplied it with your password.
No. You cannot hack into encrypted volume containers with Everything. You need VeraKrypt and your password for that.
I think oreos.. is aware of that:
Oreosaredelicious wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:44 am but I have been unable to use everything to search the drive once unlocked and mounted.
@oreos.. : Are you running Everything as administrator? If so, enable Everything Service and disable Run as administrator. Both can be found under Menu:Tools > Options > General.

You don't have to restart Everything when your VeraCrypt drive is unlocked: enter
/reindex=X:
(+ ENTER) in the Everything search bar.

You can find quite a few VeraCrypt releatd threads on this forum when you search for truecrypt.
VeraCrypt was forked from TrueCrypt when that one's development halted.