Everything 1.4.1.947, folders to network locations enable and disable how can i?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
minsik

Everything 1.4.1.947, folders to network locations enable and disable how can i?

Post by minsik »

Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere.
with Everything the NTFS drives can automatically enable and disable the index as these are available or not available.
However the folders listing to network shares seem to work differently.

when at work network shares are available and set to index once per day and not keep up with changes. This works great.
When home the network shares listed in the folders are available as an index but sometimes everything wants to do a reindex and the network share is not available. then everything seems to hang and takes a long time in unresponsive mode before it realises and drops back to the local C: drive only index.

How can i deal with network shares in the most efficient way?
How do others deal with this?

I use !\\ as a manual entered filter to NOT include network shares when i need to search at work only my local drives but sometimes everything wants to do this reindex for no reason i can see and thats when the network folders are not available. Can there be made a network check so that these locations are not included if not available?

Otherwise its my goto program on the laptop and always other staff cant believe how i can find stuff documents plans and manuals so quickly. its all due to Everything.
void
Developer

Re: Everything 1.4.1.947, folders to network locations enable and disable how can i?

Post by void »

I wonder what is causing the rebuild:
Could you please enable debug mode:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER.
    /debug=1
  • Type in the following search and press ENTER.
    /restart
What is shown in the debug console when Everything starts a rebuild?

To disable debug mode:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER.
    /debug=0
  • Type in the following search and press ENTER.
    /restart
Please make sure Auto remove offline volumes and Auto include fixed/removable volumes are disabled:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Automatically include new fixed volumes.
  • Uncheck Automatically include new removable volumes.
  • Uncheck Automatically remove offline volumes.
  • Click the ReFS tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Automatically include new fixed volumes.
  • Uncheck Automatically include new removable volumes.
  • Uncheck Automatically remove offline volumes.
  • Click OK.
minsik

Re: Everything 1.4.1.947, folders to network locations enable and disable how can i?

Post by minsik »

Thank you for the comprehensive and detailed reply.
Very strange but it has not happened since so I am at a loss why the problem occurred in the first place.
Maybe it is because I have attempted to open a file from within Everything for a location that is not accessible currently and then Everything appears to hang (due to not being able to open the file)
If left alone Everything will return to normal and a windows message about the location not being accessible appears and its all good.

Maybe i just have to learn patience or common sense and use the !\\ to exclude the non accessible locations!
I will see how it goes.

I do appreciate the assistance. Many thinks.