Can I sort the paths in a search filter in a special way?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

Can I sort the paths in a search filter in a special way?

Post by Biff »

Can I sort the paths in a search filter in a special way, e.g. like that to get a better overview(?):

Code: Select all

"I:\Eigene Dateien\1\" |
"I:\Eigene Dateien\2\" |
"I:\Eigene Dateien\3\" |
"I:\Eigene Dateien\4" ext:3g2;3gp;3gp2;3gpp;amr;amv;asf;avi;bdmv;bik;d2v;divx;drc;dsa;dsm;dss;dsv;evo;f4v;flc;fli;flic;flv;hdmov;ifo;ivf;m1v;m2p;m2t;m2ts;m2v;m4b;m4p;m4v;mkv;mp2v;mp4;mp4v;mpe;mpeg;mpg;mpls;mpv2;mpv4;mov;mts;ogm;ogv;pss;pva;qt;ram;ratdvd;rm;rmm;rmvb;roq;rpm;smil;smk;swf;tp;tpr;ts;vob;vp6;webm;wm;wmp;wmv;iso;disc;srt;sub;idx;txt
or

"I:\Eigene Dateien\4" ext:3g2;3gp;3gp2;3gpp;amr;amv;asf;avi;bdmv;bik;d2v;divx;drc;dsa;dsm;dss;dsv;evo;f4v;flc;fli;flic;flv;hdmov;ifo;ivf;m1v;m2p;m2t;m2ts;m2v;m4b;m4p;m4v;mkv;mp2v;mp4;mp4v;mpe;mpeg;mpg;mpls;mpv2;mpv4;mov;mts;ogm;ogv;pss;pva;qt;ram;ratdvd;rm;rmm;rmvb;roq;rpm;smil;smk;swf;tp;tpr;ts;vob;vp6;webm;wm;wmp;wmv;iso;disc;srt;sub;idx;txt

or

"I:\Eigene Dateien\4"

ext:3g2;3gp;3gp2;3gpp;amr;amv;asf;avi;bdmv;bik;d2v;divx;drc;dsa;dsm;dss;dsv;evo;f4v;flc;fli;flic;flv;hdmov;ifo;ivf;m1v;m2p;m2t;m2ts;m2v;m4b;m4p;m4v;mkv;mp2v;mp4;mp4v;mpe;mpeg;mpg;mpls;mpv2;mpv4;mov;mts;ogm;ogv;pss;pva;qt;ram;ratdvd;rm;rmm;rmvb;roq;rpm;smil;smk;swf;tp;tpr;ts;vob;vp6;webm;wm;wmp;wmv;iso;disc;srt;sub;idx;txt
void
Developer

Re: Can I sort the paths in a search filter in a special way?

Post by void »

You can save your paths in any order.

What Everything really needs here is a multi-line edit to make this easier to read.
A multi-line search box is on my TODO list.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Multi-line edit, that sounds great!

I am not able to add the versions above to the filter (after editing them in Notepad++). Only the first line is added when I try to add the complete filter. Obviously it has anything to do with the line breaks. How do I have to add the filter after editing it in Notepad++?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try pasting your multi-line search into main search box in Everything.

The main search box will replace new lines with spaces.
From there you can add your search to your filters from the Search menu -> Add to Filters....

Alternatively, replace the new lines with spaces in Notepad++ before copying and pasting in Everything.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Sorry, I do not understand. I have done that:
Please try pasting your multi-line search into main search box in Everything.

The main search box will replace new lines with spaces.
From there you can add your search to your filters from the Search menu -> Add to Filters....
When I now again want to edit the filder and copy the paths from here
and paste that to Notepad++ I have the same flowing text like before, without sorting. What am I doing wrong?
void
Developer

Post by void »

In Everything, in the Filter Editor, does the search appear as:
"I:\Eigene Dateien\1\" | "I:\Eigene Dateien\2\" | "I:\Eigene Dateien\3\" | "I:\Eigene Dateien\4" ext:3g2;...

ie: one long line.
Are the paths listed in a different order for you? Can you paste the text here?

When you copy to Notepad++ do you see the same long line?
Currently, searches cannot contain newlines.
Biff

Post by Biff »

In Everything, in the Filter Editor, does the search appear as:
"I:\Eigene Dateien\1\" | "I:\Eigene Dateien\2\" | "I:\Eigene Dateien\3\" | "I:\Eigene Dateien\4" ext:3g2;...
Yes, like that, it is one single very long line.
Are the paths listed in a different order for you?
Yes, they are. I have copied the entire content of the filter to Notepad++ for editing and sorted the paths alphabetycally (each path in a different line) and want to copy that back to Everything. The order is kept in Everything when I enter that in the main search field but when I copy that line, single line, back to Notepad I have the same flowing text like before but with the paths sorted alphabetically.

This text before (sorted):
"I:\Eigene Dateien\4"

ext:3g2;3gp;3gp2;3gpp;amr;amv;asf;avi;bdmv;bik;d2v;divx;drc;dsa;dsm;dss;dsv;evo;f4v;flc;fli;flic;flv;hdmov;ifo;ivf;m1v;m2p;m2t;m2ts;m2v;m4b;m4p;m4v;mkv;mp2v;mp4;mp4v;mpe;mpeg;mpg;mpls;mpv2;mpv4;mov;mts;ogm;ogv;pss;pva;qt;ram;ratdvd;rm;rmm;rmvb;roq;rpm;smil;smk;swf;tp;tpr;ts;vob;vp6;webm;wm;wmp;wmv;iso;disc;srt;sub;idx;txt

This text after copying it in the main search field and copying in back to Notepad:

"I:\Eigene Dateien\1\" | "I:\Eigene Dateien\2\" | "I:\Eigene Dateien\3\" | "I:\Eigene Dateien\4" ext:3g2;3gp;3gp2;3gpp;amr;amv;asf;avi;bdmv;bik;d2v;divx;drc;dsa;dsm;dss;dsv;evo;f4v;flc;fli;flic;flv;hdmov;ifo;ivf;m1v;m2p;m2t;m2ts;m2v;m4b;m4p;m4v;mkv;mp2v;mp4;mp4v;mpe;mpeg;mpg;mpls;mpv2;mpv4;mov;mts;ogm;ogv;pss;pva;qt;ram;ratdvd;rm;rmm;rmvb;roq;rpm;smil;smk;swf;tp;tpr;ts;vob;vp6;webm;wm;wmp;wmv;iso;disc;srt;sub;idx;txt
When you copy to Notepad++ do you see the same long line?
Yes, I do:
Currently, searches cannot contain newlines.
Yes, so the line breaks avoid keeping the sorted paths, I assume.
tuska

Post by tuska »

Could this be of help?
viewtopic.php?p=24413#p24413

Everything.ini

paste_new_line_op=1
Notepad++

"I:\Eigene Dateien\1\"
"I:\Eigene Dateien\2\"
"I:\Eigene Dateien\3\"
"I:\Eigene Dateien\4\"
ext:3g2;3gp;...
- Copy your path list (one path per line) and paste into Everything input line
- Copy the extension list and paste at the end of Everything input line

Everything input line:

<"I:\Eigene Dateien\1\">|<"I:\Eigene Dateien\2\">|<"I:\Eigene Dateien\3\">|<"I:\Eigene Dateien\4\"> ext:3g2;3gp;...txt
Search > Add to Filters...
Biff

Post by Biff »

The drawback here might be to copy each single path of the 20, 25 I have in that filter. and the same again, I assume, when I add a further path later. So I just could rather prefer to have a worse overview.
- Copy your path list (one path per line) and paste into Everything input line
Sorry, what is the input line?
- Copy the extension list and paste at the end of Everything input line
Sorry again, the extension list? What is that?
tuska

Post by tuska »

The drawback here might be to copy each single path of the 20, 25 I have in that filter and the same again,
I assume, when I add a further path later. So I just could rather prefer to have a worse overview.
Notepad++
Find what : >|<
Replace with : \n       --> <\n Newline (LF, Ascii 10)>
◉ Extended (\n, \r, \t, \0, \x...)
Press button "Replace All" then "Close", place cursor before "ext:..." and press <ENTER>
(Notepad++ remembers the last search/replace action!)

Delete: < and >
The original path order in Notepad++ is restored.
Sorry, what is the input line?
The author called it "Everything search edit".
It is the line in Everything in which you can enter a search word (below the menu line).
I don't know how I could name that line any other way.
Sorry again, the extension list? What is that?
Here your file extension - list is meant:
ext:3g2;3gp;3gp2;3gpp;amr;amv;asf;avi;....idx;txt <-- shortened!
which you should insert at the end of the search query in the "Everything search edit" line behind the paths.

2 steps are required (Everything.ini: paste_new_line_op=1 <-- must be defined before [see also link to other topic]):
1. Copy the path lines in Notepad++ and paste them into the "Everything search edit" line. --> In this example: Lines 1 to 4
2. Add the file extension list at the end of the "Everything search edit" line. (1 space character, then ext:3g2;3gp;...)

It was displayed above (shortened) in the code line what then should be shown in the "Everything search edit" line.
Then you can create the filter.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Many thanks.

Very sorry for my etremely bad understanding, I do not understand that much. Screenshots would make it extremely more easier, I assume.
Notepad++
Find what : >|<
Replace with : \n --> <\n Newline (LF, Ascii 10)>
◉ Extended (\n, \r, \t, \0, \x...)
Press button "Replace All" then "Close", place cursor before "ext:..." and press <ENTER>
(Notepad++ remembers the last search/replace action!)
Obviously this is wrong:

No idea, sorry,
This one (?):
This(?):
Anything else?
tuska

Post by tuska »

Maybe this will help you...
2019-07-27_paste_new_line_op.png
2019-07-27_paste_new_line_op.png (257.62 KiB) Viewed 15453 times
Biff

Post by Biff »

Thank you very much! Sorry for bothering you and forcing so much work. Well, my brain is not the best.

I made it (I hope at least), when I now copy the paths and ext. lines form here
and enter them in Notepad I get this:

When I copy them back again to the "Search" field in "Edit filter" it is like it was before.

But when I add a new path in Notebook to the path lines ( "I:\Eigene Dateien\5", below), I cannot copy it back to the "Search" field in "Edit filter" anymore:

"I:\Eigene Dateien\4" |
"I:\Eigene Dateien\5"

When I try to copy the above it looks like that:
So just the first path gets entered.

When I enter the path ("I:\Eigene Dateien\5") directly and the "Search" field in "Edit filter" (what is extremely hard, if one had 20, 30 paths) and copy the path and extension lines to Notepad it looks like this:

"I:\Eigene Dateien\4" | "I:\Eigene Dateien\5" ext:3g2;3gp;3gp2;3gpp;amr;amv;asf;avi;bdmv;bik;d2v;divx;drc;dsa;dsm;dss;dsv;evo;f4v;flc;fli;flic;flv;hdmov;ifo;ivf;m1v;m2p;m2t;m2ts;m2v;m4b;m4p;m4v;mkv;mp2v;mp4;mp4v;mpe;mpeg;mpg;mpls;mpv2;mpv4;mov;mts;ogm;ogv;pss;pva;qt;ram;ratdvd;rm;rmm;rmvb;roq;rpm;smil;smk;swf;tp;tpr;ts;vob;vp6;webm;wm;wmp;wmv;iso;disc;srt;sub;idx;txt

Very sorry again for that much work you had and thank you very much again.
tuska

Post by tuska »

You did not perform point 1. (see picture above):
In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:

/paste_new_line_op=1
Only if the entry paste_new_line_op=1 is in the Everything.ini file (<-- check this!)
the following steps (espescially 3., 7. and 8.) - as shown above - can work.

Once you have done this, simply follow the steps shown in the picture above.

PS:
By the way, I have noticed that when saving a new filter under the name of an existing filter,
the existing filter is NOT overwritten and no warning appears.
However, I would have expected this, e.g. because the previous filter - under the same name - has to be deleted separately.
vanisk

Post by vanisk »

tuska wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:32 am By the way, I have noticed that when saving a new filter under the name of an existing filter,
However, I would have expected this, e.g. because the previous filter - under the same name - has to be deleted separately.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8264&p=27372&hilit= ... ark#p27347
void wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:44 am Currently, only the first instance of a filter with the same name will be used.

I've added to my TODO list to resolve filters correctly when a name is reused.
I've added to my TODO list to show a warning when a macro name already exists.
tuska

Post by tuska »

vanisk wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:13 am
tuska wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:32 am By the way, I have noticed that when saving a new filter under the name of an existing filter,
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8264&p=27372&hilit= ... ark#p27347
void wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:44 am Currently, only the first instance of a filter with the same name will be used.

I've added to my TODO list to resolve filters correctly when a name is reused.
I've added to my TODO list to show a warning when a macro name already exists.
Ahh, thanks!
Biff

Post by Biff »

Sorry, I did. Why do you think so?
Only if the entry paste_new_line_op=1 is in the Everything.ini file (<-- check this!)

Should I repeat all of the steps?
By the way, I have noticed that when saving a new filter under the name of an existing filter,
Might that cause any problems (by this subject here)?
tuska

Post by tuska »

Biff wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:55 pm
Sorry, I did. Why do you think so?
Please see below: /paste_new_line_op=1 ... < > are missing in Everything after copying the paths from Notepad++ to Everything
When I enter the path ("I:\Eigene Dateien\5") directly and the "Search" field in "Edit filter"
(what is extremely hard, if one had 20, 30 paths) and copy the path and extension lines to Notepad it looks like this:
... the following representation above with line breaks cannot be correct, because in Notepad++ the whole content of the
field "Search" of the filter after the insertion is displayed only in 1 line.
Biff wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:55 pm
Might that cause any problems (by this subject here)?
No, if you replace the content of the "Search" field in the "X" filter and no new filter with the same name will be created.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Here's a summary - it looks like this to me - tested with Everything version 1.4.1.935 (x64) and version 1.4.1.947 (x64):
/paste_new_line_op=0

"I:\Eigene Dateien\1\" "I:\Eigene Dateien\2\" "I:\Eigene Dateien\3\" "I:\Eigene Dateien\4\"
/paste_new_line_op=1

<"I:\Eigene Dateien\1\">|<"I:\Eigene Dateien\2\">|<"I:\Eigene Dateien\3\">|<"I:\Eigene Dateien\4\">
Filter:

<"I:\Eigene Dateien\1\">|<"I:\Eigene Dateien\2\">|<"I:\Eigene Dateien\3\">|<"I:\Eigene Dateien\4\"> ext:3g2;3gp;3gp2;3gpp;amr;amv;asf;avi;bdmv;bik;d2v;divx;drc;dsa;dsm;dss;dsv;evo;f4v;flc;fli;flic;flv;hdmov;ifo;ivf;m1v;m2p;m2t;m2ts;m2v;m4b;m4p;m4v;mkv;mp2v;mp4;mp4v;mpe;mpeg;mpg;mpls;mpv2;mpv4;mov;mts;ogm;ogv;pss;pva;qt;ram;ratdvd;rm;rmm;rmvb;roq;rpm;smil;smk;swf;tp;tpr;ts;vob;vp6;webm;wm;wmp;wmv;iso;disc;srt;sub;idx;txt
Notepad++

<"I:\Eigene Dateien\1\">|<"I:\Eigene Dateien\2\">|<"I:\Eigene Dateien\3\">|<"I:\Eigene Dateien\4\"> ext:3g2;3gp;3gp2;3gpp;amr;amv;asf;avi;bdmv;bik;d2v;divx;drc;dsa;dsm;dss;dsv;evo;f4v;flc;fli;flic;flv;hdmov;ifo;ivf;m1v;m2p;m2t;m2ts;m2v;m4b;m4p;m4v;mkv;mp2v;mp4;mp4v;mpe;mpeg;mpg;mpls;mpv2;mpv4;mov;mts;ogm;ogv;pss;pva;qt;ram;ratdvd;rm;rmm;rmvb;roq;rpm;smil;smk;swf;tp;tpr;ts;vob;vp6;webm;wm;wmp;wmv;iso;disc;srt;sub;idx;txt
Please watch this video: 20190729__1920x1160_00.05.35_Search filter_Multiline_paste_new_line_op.wmv

Important notes:
When using the option: /paste_new_line_op=1, Notepad++ may contain paths with spaces,
which have NOT been enclosed in quotation marks ("").
In Everything the contents are found with this option nevertheless if you choose "Match Path - CTRL+U" additionally!
With this options it is therefore NOT necessary in Notepad++ to put the paths in quotation marks!
I think "Match Path" should always be used in such cases! "Match Path" in "Edit Filter"-window is erroneously not ticked in the video.

I would also recommend you to do tests with only 2 directories and 2 file extensions first.

If you don't make it, it's probably better you wait for a "Multiline" function in Everything.
I don't know how to help you anymore.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Ah, now I see, when one wants to enter a new path (to the paths entered up to 1:58) you always have to repeat (with a new or more paths) all of the steps from 1:58, I hadn't supposed it is that enconvenient. And I thought once you have formated the text like this (to 1:58)

ext:3g2;3gp;3gp2;3gpp;amr;amv;asf;avi;bdmv;bik;d2v;divx;drc;dsa;dsm;dss;dsv;evo;f4v;flc;fli;flic;flv;hdmov;ifo;ivf;m1v;m2p;m2t;m2ts;m2v;m4b;m4p;m4v;mkv;mp2v;mp4;mp4v;mpe;mpeg;mpg;mpls;mpv2;mpv4;mov;mts;ogm;ogv;pss;pva;qt;ram;ratdvd;rm;rmm;rmvb;roq;rpm;smil;smk;swf;tp;tpr;ts;vob;vp6;webm;wm;wmp;wmv;iso;disc;srt;sub;idx;

you next time can just copy the text from the filter and by KEEPING that format, this one

ext:3g2;3gp;3gp2;3gpp;amr;amv;asf;avi;bdmv;bik;d2v;divx;drc;dsa;dsm;dss;dsv;evo;f4v;flc;fli;flic;flv;hdmov;ifo;ivf;m1v;m2p;m2t;m2ts;m2v;m4b;m4p;m4v;mkv;mp2v;mp4;mp4v;mpe;mpeg;mpg;mpls;mpv2;mpv4;mov;mts;ogm;ogv;pss;pva;qt;ram;ratdvd;rm;rmm;rmvb;roq;rpm;smil;smk;swf;tp;tpr;ts;vob;vp6;webm;wm;wmp;wmv;iso;disc;srt;sub;idx;

paste it to Notepad++ and just enter the next path and copy it back. Instead of doing that you first have to repeat the steps from 1:58. This was my misunderstandig (I assume).
If you don't make it, it's probably better you wait for a "Multiline" function in Everything.
I don't know how to help you anymore.
Yes, indeed (sounds hard), but, indeed, nobody then could help me, even an ape would understand it, that video (I suppose), thank goodness I did as well (I hope, at least). Many thanks for the great video, cannot be better understandable,

Very sorry again for my extremely bad understanding, well a German. And again thank you very, very much!
vanisk

Post by vanisk »

tuska wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:05 pm Please watch this video: 20190729__1920x1160_00.05.35_Search filter_Multiline_paste_new_line_op.wmv
Nice tutorial. Hats off to you!
Last edited by vanisk on Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Yes, absolutely, and the screenshot tutorilal before was great, too.
tuska

Post by tuska »

vanisk wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:07 pm Nice tutorial. Hats off to you!
Biff wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:28 pm Yes, absolutely, and the screenshot tutorilal before was great, too.
Thanks! :)
I have created both with FastStone Capture 9.0.

2Biff
Unfortunately I don't know a solution with much less work steps.

Maybe it would also help you to use ONLY "I:\Eigene Dateien\" as path,
because you've already hit the restriction with the file extensions.
Biff

Post by Biff »

I have created both with FastStone Capture 9.0.
Just downloaded the trial version, portable.
Unfortunately I don't know a solution with much less work steps.
Yes, sorry for my misunderstanding, so you first explanation before the screenshot tutorial version also was very good and worked for me. but I didn't understand one has to repeat the steps each time one adds a new path.
Maybe it would also help you to use ONLY "I:\Eigene Dateien\" as path,
because you've already hit the restriction with the file extensions.
These paths were an example, may be for a better overwiew, easieier understanding (for me), easier testing, there are some more paths for some more drives. Yes, may be I wouldn't need a path at all because of the extensions. Everything would show then just a few more (or much more, I do not know) files which should not be shown in the results, but it might work as well. Thank you.

And many thanks again for the great tutorials.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I hope I don't create any more confusion, but ....

If I have this text somewhere in a textfile:

"I:\Eigene Dateien\4" |
"I:\Eigene Dateien\5"
I can copy that to the clipboard and paste it in the Everything search bar (just like @void described):
2019-07-30 16_46_18-_I__Eigene Dateien_1__ _ _I__Eigene Dateien_2__ _ _I__Eigene Dateien_3__ _ _I__E.png
2019-07-30 16_46_18-_I__Eigene Dateien_1__ _ _I__Eigene Dateien_2__ _ _I__Eigene Dateien_3__ _ _I__E.png (10.81 KiB) Viewed 15399 times
And that can be made into a bookmark with Menu:Bookmarks > Add to bookmarks.

BTW: can be shortened to:

"i:\Eigene Dateien\"<1|2|3|4|5>    video:|ext:iso;disc;srt;sub;idx;
Biff

Post by Biff »

I hope I don't create any more confusion, but ....
No no, not at all, I cannot get more confused, I guess.
And that can be made into a bookmark with Menu:Bookmarks > Add to bookmarks.
Or...may be...sorry, and what for? But anyway, I forget one can even use bookmarks, didn't do it up to now.

"i:\Eigene Dateien\"<1|2|3|4|5> video:|ext:iso;disc;srt;sub;idx;
Ah sorry, I should have known it, the latter at least.
tuska

Post by tuska »

I've been thinking about bookmarks too.
In this case I would prefer a filter solution, because then it is easier to further limit the search in the input line.
The input line is empty when the filter is applied.

If you use bookmarks in such a case you would have to go to the end of the input line first and add a search term there.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

OOPs ... my bad ...

Somehow I thought it was for a bookmark (must have miseed "some" clues in this long thread).
Anyway, the method is similar: add to Filters instead of Add to bookmarks.

(didn't I promise more confusion? :))
tuska

Post by tuska »

[OT] FastStone Capture Version 9.1 2019-07-30 is available. [/OT]

Here is a short summary of the original topic concerning changes of paths:

Under the assumption that an Filter_X.txt file with the paths exists and the filter has already been set up,
it is only a few steps to change the paths (with Option: paste_new_line_op=1):

1. Paths in Notepad++ - file Filter_X.txt -> change, sort, copy (Ctrl+C)
2. Insert paths into the Everything search bar (Ctrl+V)
3. In the Everything search bar: press Shift+Pos1 (mark line contents), Ctrl+C copy to clipboard
4. Edit filter: Press Pos1, then Ctrl+Shift+Arrow-to-right (press repeatedly) to mark existing paths,
    Press Ctrl+V to overwrite existing paths, OK, OK
Done!

Note:
Basically you don't necessarily need the option "paste_new_line_op=1" (but it also has other advantages *).
You can also leave the saving as shown in the first post (with quotation marks ("") and "|").
In this case even the points 2. and 3. are omitted!

* other advantages (with option "paste_new_line_op=1")
- You don't have to put the paths in quotation marks ("") and you don't need the character "|".
- can also be used for a list of names (part names) to be searched for (each name in a separate line)

It's up to you :)
Biff

Post by Biff »

Great, so that now is the very shortest way to achive alphabetical sorted and one under the other sorted paths with and without using option "paste_new_line_op=1" (I guess, I will going on using it). Very handy explanation. Thank you very much!

What a coincidence, a FastStone Capture update, many thanks for the link.