Non-Admin Client

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
JonRobertson

Non-Admin Client

Post by JonRobertson »

I've got Everything running as a service.

Best I can tell from reading the source, Everything_SendCommandLine requires a client window to viewable. When running as a service, there is no client window.

If I launch Everything interactively to get a client window, it requires admin rights and it creates a second instance, in addition to the service. So, I'm not sure what the advantage is to running Everything as a service.

I'd love to have a search window that does not require admin rights and have the ability to search files. (However, from a security standpoint, the client should only show files based on the user's token and defined NTFS security.)

One theory would be to enable the ETP server in the service and to use the interactive client to connect to that server. However, launching Everything still requires elevation.

However, Everything has inspired me. If I can't get Everything to do what I want, I'll probably start writing my own. :P
void
Developer

Re: Non-Admin Client

Post by void »

I am considering implementing an optional plug-in that would communicate with a service for indexing and updating.

All the functions that require administrative privileges could be moved from the client to the service..