Not finding some files

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
edpell

Not finding some files

Post by edpell »

Using Everything 1.4.1.895 on Win 7 Home Premium

I noticed that Everything is not finding some files, but I can't determine any differences/similarities between the found and unfound files.

For example ...
Simple search by file/folder name.
I have a folder containing two subfolders, two MP4 files, two JPG files, and two LWP files. Everything finds the two folders, the MP4 files, and one of the LWP files. The other files are not found.

None of the Exclude boxes are checked and the rest of the Exclude Options page is blank.
Filter is set to Everything.

Any advice?

Thanks,
EdP
NotNull

Re: Not finding some files

Post by NotNull »

(Assuming this happens on one of your local NTFS volumes (see Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > NTFS) )

Older versions of Everything, including 1.4.1.895 IIRC, could miss some files (for example when renaming them).
Upgrade to 1.4.1.935 or newer, which can be found here and rebuild your index (Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > Force Rebuild button.
edpell

Post by edpell »

Thanks very much for the swift reply.

Before I installed the latest version, I thought I'd do a rebuild just to see what happened. It worked - the files were found.

Is it often that a forced rebuild is necessary?

EdP
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

edpell wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:54 pm Thanks very much for the swift reply.

Before I installed the latest version, I thought I'd do a rebuild just to see what happened. It worked - the files were found.

Is it often that a forced rebuild is necessary?

EdP
No, not really. And even less often with the newer Everything versions. But it's a good thing that there is a Force rebuild button for those exceptions ...