Error message moving groups of files shown in results

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
gopher

Error message moving groups of files shown in results

Post by gopher »

Posting to see if anybody else has noticed what I'm experiencing with the latest version of Everything (V1.2.1.371)

Sometimes, when I've "selected" several files in an Everything result list, and right click on them, and select "move", I get an error message that says:

"Error moving file or folder: Cannot move file; cannot read from the source file or disk."

When this happens I've double checked to make sure that none of the files selected are "locked" because they're open (including "preview" mode) in another program, and none are. So far I've never received this message when trying to "move" just one file appearing in an Everything results list.

Other times, a group "move" of files I've selected in an Everything results list suceeds with no errror message.

Through today, I can't find a pattern which would allow me to predict when an effort to "move" several files appearing in the Everything results list, at one time, will succeed; there must be one but so far it has eluded me.

Has anybody run into this before? Nella
David
Developer

Re: Error message moving groups of files shown in results

Post by David »

Performing some operations on files and folders in different parent folders will not work (only the files and folders in the first parent folder will work).

This is a limitation with "Everything" and somewhat with the Windows API.

I have plans to continue improving operations on files and folders in different parent folders.

I would recommend using drag and drop or cut/copy/paste as these operations should not be effected by this limitation.
gopher

Re: Error message moving groups of files shown in results

Post by gopher »

David,

Belated thanks for your detailed explanation. Will use the other operations you suggested instead. gopher