search local and server?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
kronhead

search local and server?

Post by kronhead »

From my limited testing, I assume there is no way to simultaneously search both local drives, and drives on a remote ETP server? When you are connected to an ETP server, it does not search the local volumes also? Just want to make sure I am not missing something ...

My next best alternative would seem to be 2 installs, so I can run 2 instances - one not connected to the server, so I can search locally, and one connected, to search remotely. Does that make sense?

It might be nice to have a hotkey to connect and disconnect. And some kind of status in the window to see whether you were connected, and where.

One other thing - searches on a connected ETP server do not show file size or date modified - is that normal, or does it indicate some problem I have?

But Everything does seem pretty amazing at what it does!

Dan
David
Developer

Re: search local and server?

Post by David »

I assume there is no way to simultaneously search both local drives, and drives on a remote ETP server?
No, you can not search local volumes and a remote ETP server in the same "Everything" window.
However...
My next best alternative would seem to be 2 installs, so I can run 2 instances - one not connected to the server, so I can search locally, and one connected, to search remotely.
Each window holds its own connection to the remote ETP server or local database.
To search your local volumes and a remote ETP server in the same "Everything" instance:
  • Open two "Everything" windows
  • Use one "Everything" window to connect to the remote ETP server.
  • Use the other "Everything" window to search your local volumes.
If you want multiple windows to search a remote ETP server you will need to connect to the remote ETP server with each "Everything" window.
It might be nice to have a hotkey to connect and disconnect.
On my "Things to do" list.
And some kind of status in the window to see whether you were connected, and where.
On my "Things to do" list.
One other thing - searches on a connected ETP server do not show file size or date modified - is that normal, or does it indicate some problem I have?
Unfortunately "Everything" uses hard-coded shares to read icons and file information.
You would need to share the remote ETP server's C: drive as C, D: drive as D etc..
I have plans to customize this for a future release.
kronhead

Re: search local and server?

Post by kronhead »

Thanks for the response!

Dan