strange default 'folder' on W7

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
WacoJohn

strange default 'folder' on W7

Post by WacoJohn »

I have EVERYTHING 1.2.1.371 installed on 3 machines.

W7 Pro 64-bit
W7 Basic 32-bit
W XP Home SP3.

When I right click on Recycle Bin and select SEARCH EVERYTHING, it opens fine on the XP machine .. blank search window and plenty of files indexed.

On both the W7 machines, the search window contains a strange string of hex values etc:

"::{645FF040-5081-191B-9F08-00AA002F954E}"

including the quotes and I have to backspace all that out before I get a list of indexed files.

Anyone know how to correct this on the two 7 machines? Thank you in advance.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (21.5 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
therube

Re: strange default 'folder' on W7

Post by therube »

Seemingly that is the CLSID for the Recycle Bin.
(Why it shows that way, don't know, but shouldn't make a difference.)
WacoJohn

Post by WacoJohn »

therube wrote:Seemingly that is the CLSID for the Recycle Bin.
(Why it shows that way, don't know, but shouldn't make a difference.)
Thank you for the quick reply. The main difference it makes is a procedural one ... I have to back space it out in order to use Everywhere. I would like to fix the problem if possible.
therube

Post by therube »

See if "Everything" version 1.2.1.451a doesn't do better.
WacoJohn

Post by WacoJohn »

therube wrote:See if "Everything" version 1.2.1.451a doesn't do better.
thank you. I tried it ... and it did not fix the problem .. but I realized something. With either version:

Only on the two W7 machines, if I open Everything from the right click (on Recycle Bin), context menu, .. I get the 'bug'. (I wonder if that is because I have Explorer set to show all files ... except I have that setting also on the XP machine).

If I open Everything from the task bar (in the clock group), I DON'T get the 'bug'.

Again .. just on the W7 machines .. not the XP machine .. and with both versions of Everything.

Actually, seems to be a bug when used with W7. Anyone else seeing the same thing? Use Recycle Bin context menu to open Everything. Would be interested to know if any one else .....
therube

Post by therube »

I looked for a moment yesterday & don't remember exactly, but depending on how you initiated the search, what displayed differed ...

If I right-click the Recycle Bin desktop icon & search, then it returned the CLSID.

If I right-click the $Recycler (don't recall the exact name at this time) from within my file manager (Altap Salamander) then I get the expected name & not the CLSID.
WacoJohn

Post by WacoJohn »

therube wrote:..... depending on how you initiated the search, what displayed differed ...
Apparently. That is the case on my W7 machines .. but not on my XP machine. XP machine opens the same no matter where I click.
therube

Post by therube »

XP ...

Desktop icon, displays (literally as), """ .
From Salamander, "C:\RECYCLER\" .