For what are those options in the newest Alpha

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
vsub

For what are those options in the newest Alpha

Post by vsub »

I've been using the stable version till now but yesterday I saw that there is newer version and when I run it,I saw a lot of new options.
The problem is that I don't understand for what are some of them(I also don't understand some of the old options too)...so if someone can explain them to me,it will be great.

First of,I looked at the help page but I still can't understand some of those from the View tab in the Options:

Maximum icon cache size - what is this,is it the files icons(shortcuts,exe and so on that appear in the search result).If it's that,what is the benefit to have it on unlimited or minimum
Icon load priority
Maximum file info cache - again,is this some info about the files in the search result and what's the benefit to have it on unlimited or minimum
Select search on activate
Cache all icons by name
Snap to modes
Snap to distance
Select text mode
And one other question...can the search filter return to None when I close the window(to not remember the last selected filter)

And finally one request/suggestion...since Everything have the ability to remember the last opened files,why not make something like launch history(displaying the last ? number of files(you choose how many to remember/display)that will appear when you open the Everything window so you can quickly start something again without typing

BTW just asking...I'm using the program Xentient Thumbnails and for some reason,Everything don't show the icons on any of the Xentient Thumbnails supported formats(it's just shows the icon for unknown file).

I tried couple of other programs and they all display the image that Xentient Thumbnails gives to the picture file.
void
Developer

Re: For what are those options in the newest Alpha

Post by void »

Maximum icon cache size - what is this,is it the files icons(shortcuts,exe and so on that appear in the search result).If it's that,what is the benefit to have it on unlimited or minimum
Maximum icon cache size is the size in bytes of the maximum size of the icon cache.
The icon cache will not grow larger than this size.
Setting this option to 0 will disable it, meaning the icon cache size is unlimited.

Everything stores the filename and index into the system image list for each file type or each ico/exe file (roughly ~32bytes each).

By default this setting is 65536 bytes, which will cache about 2048 icons.
Once the cache is full, new icons that need to be cached will overwrite the older icon caches.

This setting has been changed to the default of 0 for the next release of "Everything".

If you frequently view over 2000 unique icons, you might like to change this settings to 0 to improve performance. Otherwise, 65536 should be fine.
Icon load priority
The priority of the icon loading thread.
Loading icons uses very little CPU so this is not really important.
Maximum file info cache
Same as the icon cache. set to 0 for best performance. set to 64k for best memory usage.
Select search on activate
When you active the window with alt-tab or click on it, "Everything" will select all the text in the search edit and make it the focus.
Cache all icons by name
Not recommended. Loading icons for all files can use a lot of memory and disk activity to load the icons..
"Everything" will always load individual icons for the following file types: exe, lnk, ico, ani, cur and url.
This might be useful for icons that have overlays that would not normally show in "Everything".
Snap to modes
Snap "Everything" windows to screen edges when moving the window.
Hold down shift while moving the window to override.
Snap to distance
The distance in pixels to snap to screen edges.
Select text mode
When the search edit receives focus (from pressing tab) , this option will determine if all the text is selected, or if the text caret is moved to the end.
0 = no selection or caret position change.
1 = no selection and move caret to end.
2 = select all and move caret to end (default).
can the search filter return to None when I close the window(to not remember the last selected filter)
It is currently not possible.
"Everything" will always use the last filter.
I have added the option to my "Things to do" list to choose the last filter, or any specific filter when opening a new window.
And finally one request/suggestion...since Everything have the ability to remember the last opened files,why not make something like launch history(displaying the last ? number of files(you choose how many to remember/display)that will appear when you open the Everything window so you can quickly start something again without typing
Sort by run count.
I tried couple of other programs and they all display the image that Xentient Thumbnails gives to the picture file.
Thumbs nails is on my list of "Things to do".
vsub

Re: For what are those options in the newest Alpha

Post by vsub »

void wrote:Thumbs nails is on my list of "Things to do".
Great,I hope it will be added some day

PS.Thanks for the explanation