How do I reduce what ET is scanning

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
jgt1942

How do I reduce what ET is scanning

Post by jgt1942 »

On my desktop which has six drives (boot drive, second partition of boot drive, 2-3TB RAID 1 arrays and 1-6TB RAID 5 array) I often use ET to search a folder. In Explorer2 I right-click on my folder and select Search Everything. When the ET window opens I notice that it is scanning my entire system and finally it presents the results of just the folder I selected.

How do I get ET just to scan the folder/drive I've selected? For me this would significantly decrease the time I'm waiting for ET to present my results.
Otter

addition to questioN

Post by Otter »

Yeah, i add some phrase to this.
Just may we exclude system places like "C:\WINDOWS" while we're not interested in (quick) indexing there? We are usually not looking there! And most changes are there.
And anyway, why does it take Evrything about 10 seconds to start? Just could there be so many file system changes to be updated every day? I thought it would be instantaneous.
Otter

Re: How do I reduce what ET is scanning

Post by Otter »

I forgot it right after exploring the options. It is already sitting there! :o

But you know, there is an alternative question in it. How about switching these unmonitoring models by 'user-defined' buttons, on the very face of the main window? Because in most cases we really don't need to monitor many system wells, but so that we press just the button, and it searches there (and pulls up all ntfs updates, right for now).
Making it only an options entry - is like thinking, that a user sets it up once - and never needs, but we can need to address them from time to time.

But i really can't be sure it speeds anything....
jgt1942

Re: How do I reduce what ET is scanning

Post by jgt1942 »

I recently rebuilt my system because I installed a SSD drive as the boot drive. For a couple of weeks ET was blinding fast but now it has reverted back to scanning my entire system when I attempt to search a folder (e.g. Q:\Libraries\_WoodWork\Woodworking-Woodsmith" and it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute to get ET to present the initial widow. This is on a system with a 6-core processor and 16GB of RAM with a 1.5GB RAM drive for the temp folder. When I use ET on my laptop which is not as powerful as my desktop the ET results always takes more than a minute.