very frequently get "failed to create everything.db.tmp..."

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
philiptdotcom

very frequently get "failed to create everything.db.tmp..."

Post by philiptdotcom »

I very frequently get the message "Failed to create Everything.db.tmp in C:\Program files\Everything\Everything.db for writing."

(On one hand, it doesn't make sense that it can't create a file "in" another file, but that's probably just a matter of the error being incorrect... or my lack of understanding of how that could occur.)

I know how to fix that problem (just go delete everything.db & restart), but (a) that doesn't always work, and (b) what a pain!!

Why would this fail? ...so often?

...and more to the point, how can I prevent it from happening?

Thanks!

-pt
therube

Re: very frequently get "failed to create everything.db.tmp.

Post by therube »

Kind of sounds like it is expecting Everything.db to be a directory \Everything.db\ rather then a file?

Are you running as an Administrator?
Do you have sufficient permissions to the C:\Program files\Everything\ directory?

Try...
Exit Everything completely.
Delete Everything.db (& or Everything.*.db)
Restart Everything.
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

I have the same problem. I've tried removing and reinstalling and I've tried giving non-admins Full rights to the everything folder and the files withing.

Nothinbg helps. On all systems, non-admins cannot run Everything Search. It's pretty poor practice to have to run as an admin on the system.
void
Developer

Post by void »

non-admins cannot run Everything Search.
"Everything" is an administrative tool.
You will need administrative privileges for low level access to volumes and write access to the folder of your Everything.exe.

I am working on the option to run "Everything" as a service, removing the administrative requirements from the user interface.