Everything not indexing every file, problem seems to be especially with text and spreadsheet files

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Arilando

Everything not indexing every file, problem seems to be especially with text and spreadsheet files

Postby Arilando » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:17 am

I have no idea why. Uninstalling and installing again solves the problem at first but shortly afterwards it will stop indexing most spreadsheet and text document files.

void
Site Admin

Re: Everything not indexing every file, problem seems to be especially with text and spreadsheet files

Postby void » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:22 am

Everything should not be missing changes to NTFS volumes.

Are you using NTFS indexing or Folder indexing ? (Check if you volumes are listed under Tools -> Options -> NTFS or Tools -> Options -> Folders)

Are you using the Everything Service (Tools -> Options -> General -> Everything Service) ? If so, please make sure the Everything Service is running.
If the service is not running Everything will not detect changes.

To force Everything to reindex:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab on the left.
  • Click Force Rebuild.
  • Click OK.

rseiler

Re: Everything not indexing every file, problem seems to be especially with text and spreadsheet files

Postby rseiler » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:24 pm

I'm seeing something similar, though it's not about any particular type of file that I've noticed. What happens is I go to search for something that I absolutely know is there (and is not new), like skype.exe for example, and it doesn't find it. But it will find any number of other things that I throw at it. I then rebuild the index and it does find it.

I am on the 1.4.1.895 release, but it was happening before that. Win10 (Insider).

To answer the above questions: Yes, the service is always running. And it's NTFS Indexing (with "Monitor changes" checked for all volumes).

I should also mention, in case it's relevant, that Everything is always running in the background (i.e. on the tray). What I haven't tried when this happens is exiting Everything and restarting it without rebuilding the index. I doubt that would matter, but it's possible.

And finally, Everything definitely picks up changes live as they're happening. It's great. It's just that once in a while it seems to lose track of what appears to be a tiny minority of things (it would be impossible to know how tiny).

void
Site Admin

Postby void » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:02 pm

Do you have any exclude filters set? such as exclude recycle bin or exclude hidden/system files/folders?

If so, folders that have been excluded and should be re-included will not show up in Everything, for example, if you exclude your recycle bin, delete your skype folder, restore your skype folder, skype.exe will not be found in Everything. This is a limitation with Everything.

If you do not have any excluded filters, Everything should always find all your files.

If you do not have any exclude filters, I would need to the see verbose debug logs of the file being removed to find the issue.

It could be an issue with the USN Change Journal using a different hard link name for the file that has changed:
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5198

Everything will only maintain one hard link of a file and I suspect skype.exe might be a hard link.

rseiler

Postby rseiler » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:20 pm

OK, so I do have some excludes (though "Exclude hidden/system files and folders" are not checked), which have fooled me before: cache folders in the data profiles of several browsers, c:\windows.old, $Recycle*, and System Volume Information*.

I rarely use Recycle Bin at all, deleting almost everything when holding down Shift, so none of the things where I've noticed this effect before (even though I can't really remember what the earlier ones were now) would have been deleted/restored.

It's possible that some have been hard links, but skype.exe for one isn't: when I right-click a file and look at its properties, thanks to a tool called Link Shell Extension, there's a Link Properties tab if a given file is a hard link. I'll definitely check each file in question when this happens again though.

Return to “Support”