ideas

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
yoyomaah

ideas

Post by yoyomaah »

heya
without having thoroughly checked the todo-list here are the things I would like to see implemented/fixed:
1. "unlock" truecrypt volumes (everything keeps blocking them so I have to force them to be unmounted)
2. doesn't find all files in system32 (win7_x64)
3. search by size/date [sorting seems somehow slow]
4. support fat optionally
5. don't rescan external harddrives automatically (make this available as an option - see #6)
6. use manufaturer's harddrive serial number to distinguish between harddrives
for partitions use volume serial number
7. everything is stuck in systemtray while indexing
8. stop button to stop indexing (everything keeps freezing on slow computers when changing options on then)
9. changes from "hidden" to "not hidden" don't show up instantly

so that's it for my thoughts
therube

Re: ideas

Post by therube »

Without having checked, but ...

> 1. "unlock" truecrypt volumes (everything keeps blocking them so I have to force them to be unmounted)
thinking, hoping it is a known issue

> 2. doesn't find all files in system32 (win7_x64)
will only find "real" files, not those "virtual, redirected" files/directories used in some places in Vista/W7

> 3. search by size/date [sorting seems somehow slow]
certainly slower then the name search, as the size/date are not directly obtainable from the MFT

> 4. support fat optionally
todo

> 5. don't rescan external harddrives automatically (make this available as an option - see #6)
thinking it should be default, IMO. can be disabled in Options.

> 6. use manufaturer's harddrive serial number to distinguish between harddrives for partitions use volume serial number
believe that or similar has been mentioned

> 7. everything is stuck in systemtray while indexing
?
> 8. stop button to stop indexing (everything keeps freezing on slow computers when changing options on then)
?

>9. changes from "hidden" to "not hidden" don't show up instantly
not sure what you mean? Option to display hidden files?
yoyomaah

Post by yoyomaah »

thanks for your reply.

2. what is a real/virtual file?
I can go to the folder open/change/copy/delete the file (though this is not recommended^^) without changing the same file in another windows folder (syswow64 vs system32) - if I change it everything will see that change and now list it - so what is that virtual file? a link? because I do think it takes up disk space.

3. What I meant is that sorting by size (size is already known) is kind of slow compared to sorting by name.
......checking sth.... okay can it be that everything only displays the size of the results shown currently in the window and thus if I scroll down new sizes get looked up?
so sorting by size is slow because it still has to get the other files' sizes?

5. that only excludes them - I do want to include but not rescan/reindex them

7. on slow computers when I plug in an external hard drive everything is indexing it and I cannot make the window visible anymore.
What I would like to see is: open from systemtray - give me a stop button to abort indexing and let me use the last database made for this drive (since I know I didn't change anything in the meantime)

8. see #7 + If I kill everything with the taskmgr and relaunch a window everything will start indexing again - but nothing has changed since the last time - so a stop button will resolve this.

9. you can include/exlude hidden files.
but if you change a hidden file to a non-hidden file everything still won't list it.
restarting everything still won't make the file show up.
so I have to delete the database...
hj-kos

Post by hj-kos »

2. what is a real/virtual file?
I can go to the folder open/change/copy/delete the file (though this is not recommended^^) without changing the same file in another windows folder (syswow64 vs system32) - if I change it everything will see that change and now list it - so what is that virtual file? a link? because I do think it takes up disk space.
Virtual file is usually a NTFS hardlink. Basically it's a some kind of shortcut. It appears as regular file if you don't have explorer plugin installed (can't recall it's name) to handle them. This is usually used to make a copy of file into other folder and\or with different name. It's more efficient because hardlinks are weightless.
yoyomaah

Post by yoyomaah »

interesting - thanks for the info :-)
therube

Post by therube »

Good overview here, Link Shell Extension (LSE)
Bastardized in Windows IMO, in that it's (another) feature with no real way to interact with it.
And then often third party applications are unaware of links. Think duplicate file finder ...
daspud

Post by daspud »

therube wrote:Without having checked, but ...

> 1. "unlock" truecrypt volumes (everything keeps blocking them so I have to force them to be unmounted)
thinking, hoping it is a known issue....
So THAT'S why I keep getting that message about unable to unmount......... :)
arlanda

Post by arlanda »

yoyomaah wrote: 1. "unlock" truecrypt volumes (everything keeps blocking them so I have to force them to be unmounted)
Yes but rather than forcing to the volume to unmount, I usually kill Everything prior to doing so.

Hopefully future release will take care of this issue.