Restart after crashing

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
DocBean

Restart after crashing

Post by DocBean »

I'd like an option to automatically restart Everything when it crashes.

Thanks
therube

Re: Restart after crashing

Post by therube »

How often does it crash on you?
DocBean

Post by DocBean »

I currently have an issue when using one of FileMenu Tools commands in the Everything's context menu, which causes the context menu to get corrupted and eventually crash. This issue has been investigated by void, and he couldn't replicate it.

Since it is an ongoing issue for me, I'd like it to auto restart after a crash.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Why do you need any restart ?
The client just starts again if you press the assigned Windows hotkey
and if you have problems with the service it can be configured in the service properties.
DocBean

Post by DocBean »

Because I don't know that it has crashed until I move the mouse to the tray icon to see it disappear.

Service properties?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I wonder if this is related to the really long path issue with shell extensions..

Are the files you are right clicking in a really long path? (is the path longer than 259 characters?)

You can use Everything to search for really long paths with the following search:
path:len:>=260

I'll consider an option to auto restart after a crash.
DocBean

Post by DocBean »

Thank you for considering it.

No, the paths are quite short, e.g. E:\_Content\Animals. I might just try one of the older versions, as it worked flawlessly for me at one time.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

DocBean wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:18 pm Because I don't know that it has crashed until I move the mouse to the tray icon to see it disappear.

Service properties?
Run Everything as service as most users will do.
Then you can use the Windows management for services and configure the restart after a failure.
But if you problem is the client just use only the hotkey to start it and you will not need the tray icon at all.
DocBean

Post by DocBean »

horst.epp wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:52 pm
DocBean wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:18 pm Because I don't know that it has crashed until I move the mouse to the tray icon to see it disappear.

Service properties?
Then you can use the Windows management for services and configure the restart after a failure.
But if you problem is the client just use only the hotkey to start it and you will not need the tray icon at all.
It is running as a service.

I didn't realize that one can actually configure the service. Thanks for pointing that out!

I assume you are referring to the Recovery tab on the Properties page?
Everything Service.jpg
Everything Service.jpg (70.43 KiB) Viewed 6507 times
Do I select the highlighted option?

When Everything's Context Menu gets corrupted, i.e. less items than usual, does that count as a Service failure?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

DocBean wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:17 pm
horst.epp wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:52 pm

Service properties?
It is running as a service.

I didn't realize that one can actually configure the service. Thanks for pointing that out!

I assume you are referring to the Recovery tab on the Properties page?

Everything Service.jpg

Do I select the highlighted option?

When Everything's Context Menu gets corrupted, i.e. less items than usual, does that count as a Service failure?
Yes, Restart the service is normaly ok.
The service is not responsible for the context menu, this is only done in the client.
Unfortunately all context menu providers are chained and so one of it can crash the whole context menu.
DocBean

Post by DocBean »

Thanks.