Disable context menu if the user is an idiot!

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
msofficeman

Disable context menu if the user is an idiot!

Post by msofficeman »

Hi,

I've just downloaded and installed Everything after reading about it on HowToGeek a while ago.

I've never seen a search tool as fast as this. Brillaint. No bloatware here.

After less than 45 seconds I have 469,638 files in my database (most on a slowish F: USB drive - C: and D: took less than 5 seconds). The total size of the database is only 2,222,397 bytes - that's an incredible 4.7 bytes per file.

I even shut it down. Renamed the database and restarted it incase Windows explorer was not telling me the real size of the file. Incredible. Filtering speed is phenominal. Well done to the programmer. I am going to find this really useful as I tend to give good names to my files but often forget where I put them and I'm always making backups all over the place!

I've already used it to find stuff in my Internet Explorer temporary files which would have taken ages before.

As an ex-programmer I always try to do stupid things to see if they have been catered for. :mrgreen:

I switched focus to the results list. Pressed Ctrl + A to select all 469,638 files. Right clicked the menu to see if the fun would start (which it did).

After 5 minutes I killed the process with Task Manager - the caption was "Everything (not responding)". CPU usage was about 35%. Memory usage stayed at only 25M! I did think of leaving it overnight to see what would happen.

I think it may be an idea to check for this. Less experienced users may not know about Task Manager and be left with a program that is dead to the Windows world.

If Microsoft had more programmers like this I think Windows 7 would run smoothly on a 64M machine. :lol:

Steve Gibson of grc.com also manages to produce incredibly small programs as he writes them in assembler.

Brilliant!!!
void
Developer

Re: Disable context menu if the user is an idiot!

Post by void »

Maybe an "Are you sure?" message if you are trying to right click more than 1000 files ;)
daspud

Post by daspud »

void wrote:Maybe an "Are you sure?" message if you are trying to right click more than 1000 files ;)
Or even 500! There is a limit and it would probably vary from machine to machine. I have made this mistake before and would appreciate a tap on the shoulder.
daspud

Post by daspud »

MSOfficeMan -- welcome to the community of the True Believers. Yes, the program is that great and David is in the same league as Steve Gibson (maybe even better because he seems to be better at following through with an idea).