Optional Confirmation of Drag/Drop Within Results List

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Jerry

Optional Confirmation of Drag/Drop Within Results List

Post by Jerry »

Thank you for your continuing development of this great and indispensable tool! I have one request: To provide a little safety belt in the results list to prevent accidental drag and drop of items while within the list. Specifically, could you add an option to pop up a confirmation dialog anytime a drag and drop is initiated? For whatever reason, I often accidentally drag/drop things all within the results list, and sometimes I don't realize it until later. I don't routinely do any file management tasks within Everything.
therube

Re: Optional Confirmation of Drag/Drop Within Results List

Post by therube »

I often accidentally drag/drop things all within the results list
Explain?
You highlight some files, drag them & where/how are you dropping them (in the results list)?
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

therube wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:19 am
I often accidentally drag/drop things all within the results list
Explain?
You highlight some files, drag them & where/how are you dropping them (in the results list)?
I don't even highlight. I simply drag a folder and drop onto another folder, for example. All within the results list. Sometimes that results in a move (if source and target on the same drive). Other times it results in a copy (source and target on different drives). Usually, a copy gives me more time to notice and abort.
therube

Post by therube »

Maybe I'm missing something?
As I don't seem to be able to d&d files or folders - all within the results window?

(Anyhow, in general, in some places, I too feel that some sort of confirmation would be nice.)
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I click on a single folder (which does highlight it) and without releasing the mouse I can drag it. If I then release it on another folder in the list, the move or copy operation starts. That doesn't happen with you? Is there an option somewhere that disables drag n' drop? That would work for me as well - to turn it off.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Jerry wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:35 pm Is there an option somewhere that disables drag n' drop? That would work for me as well - to turn it off.
There is!
Enter this query in the Everything search bar to disable drag&drop in Everything:
/allow_drag_drop=0
(followed by pressing Enter)

This is effective immediately; no need to restart Everything.
If you want to re-enable drag&drop, use /allow_drag_drop=1 (as you probably would have guessed :))
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Ah. Wasn't aware of this way of setting options in Everything. And I see the change gets written to the Everything.ini file. This works for me. Thanks!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Jerry wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:03 am Ah. Wasn't aware of this way of setting options in Everything. And I see the change gets written to the Everything.ini file. This works for me. Thanks!
You're welcome!

BTW: Not all INI options can be set that way. If it 'works', you will see the new setting for a couple of seconds on the statusbar:

2019-04-14 13_19_05-_allow_drag_drop=0 - Everything.png
2019-04-14 13_19_05-_allow_drag_drop=0 - Everything.png (12.28 KiB) Viewed 5620 times
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

This is actually a good and clever way of setting non-standard options that are not otherwise accessible through direct configuration from the GUI. Typically, with most programs (like XYplorer) that allow additional options or tweaks to be set in the INI file, you have to first exit the program, open/edit/save the INI file in an external editor, and then restart the program.