Drag&Drop, one non-NTFs dir?

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
gunnar

Drag&Drop, one non-NTFs dir?

Post by gunnar »

1. Drag-Drop to the Search Field, either from explorer (find duplicates, etc) or just plain text would be GREAT!

Writing my own code doing that and then requesting find from everything.

Windows file properties, copy then paste into search field a pain when more than 5-6 files.
Same thing with picking, pasting , checking existing file names from text file (using npp++).

That is, I am
- drag-drop TV-radio programs from browser to a text file which I then feed to a downloader.
I obv want to avoid downloading alrdy downloaded files, which wld be simple by same drag-drop to everything.
The search field on everything is also easy to edit to "widen" search..

2 .--replace all "weird" ascii with "?"

However, run into problems in my ownd program interfacing to everything, with scandinavian dots,etc in file names.
Coded old trick, replaced all "weird" ascii with "?" which everything handles.
Would be a good "change button" for search field.
Still kind of weird to get eveything to use wild cards in search?

3. One HD,dir where only plain findfirst,next works., network, linux

Unluckily, I need to search a network too, not a Windows but Samba Linux share for the "alrdy exists" files.

I minimal code change would be to be able to "non-real-time" add "non-NTFS-MFT-everything" directories to the search!
Whatever HD,dir where plain windows findfirst,next works (but slow)
Doesnt need to be "real-time", only a button to do it once, until one decides to do it again.

Kindof like alrdy removed USB drives can be included in search.

Gunnar
NotNull

Re: Drag&Drop, one non-NTFs dir?

Post by NotNull »

gunnar wrote:1. Drag-Drop to the Search Field, either from explorer (find duplicates, etc) or just plain text would be GREAT!
Not exactly what you are looking for, but maybe it helps:
In Explorer you can select one or more files and with <Shift-Rightclick> > "Copy As Path" put the filenames (including path) on the clipboard.
void
Developer

Post by void »

1. Drag-Drop to the Search Field, either from explorer (find duplicates, etc) or just plain text would be GREAT!
You can also copy files from Windows Explorer and paste them in the Everything search edit with Ctrl + V or Shift + Insert.

To enable drag drop on the search edit:
In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
/search_edit_drag_accept_files=1

Note: when dropping files on the search edit the filenames are copied into the search edit (not the file contents which is what you are describing).

I'll consider an option to drop text files with a list of filenames on the search edit.

To search for a list of filenames, please see:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5178
2 .--replace all "weird" ascii with "?"
With Match diacritics disabled from the Search menu, Everything should ignore Scandinavian dots.
Using a ? will force Everything to match the entire filename.
Please consider disabling Match whole filename when using wildcards:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Search tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Match whole filename when using wildcards.
  • Click OK.
3. One HD,dir where only plain findfirst,next works., network, linux
Temporary indexes are planned for Everything 1.5, so you can start typing in a path, for example e:\ and Everything will start indexing your e:\ drive.
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

NotNull wrote:
gunnar wrote:1. Drag-Drop to the Search Field, either from explorer (find duplicates, etc) or just plain text would be GREAT!
Not exactly what you are looking for, but maybe it helps:
In Explorer you can select one or more files and with <Shift-Rightclick> > "Copy As Path" put the filenames (including path) on the clipboard.

I specifically DO NOT want to do select-copy-paste as I am often doing some 100s in a row of them, no mistakes allowed.

Note:
-- when from explorer, compare to simple, Press(Mouse)-drag-drop mouse-movement
(in my own code I made the whole everything-frontend client area accept the drop, no precision-drop needed into a field)

-- when from a text-file (with editor that supports drag) the select still needs press-move-release, but in some editors select a word,etc just by clicking on it/
Luckily I do not even need to hit the exact beginning and end of the filename, Everything finds the partial match.

Same thing if drag-dropping text from a browser.

Gunnar

PS Note, when doing some 100 of these select-copy-movemouse-paste using two hands, mouse+keyboard its only a question of time before it goes wrong. Or having to switch between right-left-Click Mouse, selecting copy-paste-menu..aaahh..PAIN!! (after 10 or 20)

The press-drag-move-drop us perfect, one hand, one finger, one mouse, no keyboard..no mistakes

PPS in a typical 100 drag-drop session there is maybe 4-8 when "not found" and I have to do a different drag-drop thingy.

PPS Typical case:

on left, downloader (accepts dropped URLs)
in middle, browser or text file, with 100s of URLs-filenames
on right, Everything (accept dropped filenames)

without getting into problem of avoiding partial chines or scandinavian dot ascii
(which I replace wth ? or * automatic in my own frontend, because it all starts with everything accepting drops, text or from explorer)
therube

Post by therube »

gunnar

Post by gunnar »

therube wrote:Might be of interest, viewtopic.php?p=19639#p19639.
And there was a thread about searching a list... Help with comparing files - solved - A tool to avoid downloading files you're already downloaded.

Thanks, not the only one with the similar problem! "Download or not, maybe I already have it?"

Luckily my need is not "random files from everywhere and anywhere"

This looks possible to adapt, have not needed to get into FireFox add-ons, not even Macros, but looks as "understandable code".
https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/4243 ... -programs/

It cld start my own Everything-FrontEnd!

Yadi builds lists and all, for random URLs,etc, thats OK, but Everything is already using a little too much RAM as it holds lists for my more than 20 HDs,hehe..
https://yadi.sk/d/UmU0SINO3N33Xg

Gunnar

hmm, to reiterate, need

- Everything.exe to accept dropped ascii-text, explorer-filenames (just different drop-data)
- replace all non-simple-bad-old-ASCII-characters with wildcards wth button-click or similar
- include in search, that HD content on that Linux Samba share machine (not real-time)
gunnar

Post by gunnar »

Temporary indexes are planned for Everything 1.5,/

Hehe, cant claim I understood, although sounds promising.

I am happy to admit I have not yet figure out these file-lists one can export or import?

Nor USB drives that are or are not connected, and are or are not remembered in searches
(well, seems file-size is empty for a removed USB drive with "dont index size"??

But whatabt a Windows Samba-Share on a Linux machine?

- - I booted that machine in Windows, with Everything on it running as server.
Seems my Client-Everything includes those files in search, but sometimes only those remote files, bsometimes not the "normal ones" on the machine I am using etc.etc..?

-- hoped to get a "snapshot" into them EFU whatever files (that I not yet understand) and keep that (list-)file included in my more normal local searches.

Seemed to work?? or maybe not??

Gunnar

PS That is,

Q1 Indexing a list is one thing, but Everything needs to get straight to the NTFS MFT file??
(To be 99.99% real-time and dxmned fast)

Q2 Is that whats the vers 1.5 plan? any path to anything and a slow-slow FindFirst,Next Dos-Windows search of it (which can take manymany minutes, but a single old snapshot better than nothing)

that is misunderstanding "typing in a path, for example e:\ and Everything will start SEARCHING (then index) your e:\ drive: