Drag N Drop revisited

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
daspud

Drag N Drop revisited

Post by daspud »

One of the things that I have wished for (and I think mentioned years ago) is the ability to drop a file onto a file in the SE results list.

Why do that? Often I want to copy or move a file to a location that is in the results list, but not as a folder (hence cannot receive files). With the ability to drop onto a file and have that translated into "drop into the path of this file" I don't have to right click the receiving file and say open path and then drop in there.

It would not even be bad to always ask Move, Copy, Launch, Zip or Cancel when the request is received. I did this using the SDK and it works very nicely, but that means that I have to remember to use my special version vs the standard version. The "Zip" option is if dropped onto a zip file it would be added. "Launch" would indicate that the receiving file should be launched with the dropped file as a parameter. "Move" and "Copy" would be to the path of the dropped file.

What do you think, David?
reddevil

Re: Drag N Drop revisited

Post by reddevil »

Another similar request: Drag N Drop folder onto address bar of Everything which would open a new instance of Everything with the dropped folder path in it.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will consider an option to do this.
daspud

Post by daspud »

David, the correct answer is I will consider BOTH of those suggestions.

<vbg>
void
Developer

Post by void »

Sorry I didn't see reddevil's post.
One of the things that I have wished for (and I think mentioned years ago) is the ability to drop a file onto a file in the SE results list.
I will consider an option to do this, this is a little tricky to do as Everything does not manage this drag drop menu.
It is managed by the Windows Shell.
Another similar request: Drag N Drop folder onto address bar of Everything which would open a new instance of Everything with the dropped folder path in it.
I have implemented this before but found it a little awkward, I will reconsider an option to enable it.
You can copy a folder to the clipboard and use ctrl + V to paste the location of the folder into the search edit.

Thanks for the suggestions.
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Thank you for considering the requests.
I tried to copy folder from Everything search results and ctrl+V, but it did not work. However, if i copy a folder from explorer then i am able to ctrl+V in Everything address bar (folder path is pasted).