UAC: Run files with reduced privileges

Plug-in and third party software discussion.
hutchinsfairy

UAC: Run files with reduced privileges

Post by hutchinsfairy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:57 am

Attached is source for an AutoIt program that I have written for myself to use with "Everything".
I haven't been able to attach the compiled binary as it's 319KB but it's probably safer to compile your own anyway!

I wrote the program so that I could run "Everything" with Admin privileges but launch programs from it with normal User level access.
The heavy lifting is actually done by an AutoIt function written by a member of their forums here.

Install:
  • Download source here
    DropMyRights_v1.0.2.5.zip
  • Compile "DropMyRights.au3" (or PM me for the binary). Autoit Website.
  • Place "DropMyRights.exe" in the same folder as the "Everything" program (or make a note of location).
  • Change settings in "Everything" as below:

Code: Select all

$exec(".\DropMyRights.exe" "%1")
Usage:
  • Launch programs as normal from within "Everything" and they will have normal User level access, even if "Everything" is run as Admin
  • Hold down Shift when launching the program and you will be prompted to toggle always running the selected program as Admin.
Settings:
  • On first run the program will create an .ini file in the same folder as itself. You can change some settings in that file.
  • BYPASS_KEY is the hex value for the key used to toggle running certain files as Admin (default Shift). You can see a list of common values here.
  • NOTIFY_DELAY is the time in seconds you want the "Admin" notification to be displayed (when you launch a program as Admin from "Everything").
  • NOTIFY_ALL Set to 1 if you want to be notified when programs are run with reduced privileges. Default 0.
  • ADMIN_LIST is a list of file names (including extension) which should always be run as admin. I wouldn't edit this by hand but instead hold down shift when first launching the program from "Everything". Set to 0 to disable notifications.
Other notes
  • Programs that are set to still be run as Admin are identified by filename only.
  • I have extracted the icon from the "Everything" executable so that the taskbar notifications appear to come from "Everything", I hope that's OK!
  • I would expect this to work on a non UAC system but I haven't tested.
  • I'm aware that this has largely been superseded by the introduction of an "Everything" service but this is still useful for me running "Everything" portably.
  • This may not work as expected if your UAC is switched on as a group policy rather than through the registry.
  • Software is provided "as is" and no warranty is provided nor liability accepted! Use at your own risk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hutchinsfairy on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

therube

Re: UAC: Run files with reduced privileges

Post by therube » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:45 pm

Everything, if you run it with its' service, already runs with non-administrative level privileges.

hutchinsfairy

Post by hutchinsfairy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:55 pm

therube wrote:Everything, if you run it with its' service, already runs with non-administrative level privileges.
Yes, and that is probably a better solution for most people. I run "Everything" as a portable application and so like not having to run a separate service and stopping it after closing "Everything". I also like being able to selectively run certain programs with Admin rights. I wasn't really expecting my program to have wide appeal but thought it post it in case it was useful.

therube

Post by therube » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Ah, OK.